Clemson University’s Office of Inclusion and Equity has established the James E. Bostic, Jr. Diversity and Inclusive Excellence Award to recognize faculty, staff and students for displaying an exceptional commitment to fostering an environment in which diversity is understood, valued, respected and appreciated. The recipient of the award receives a $1,000 cash prize and a distinctive commemorative award. This award will be presented annually to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to creating an inclusive and welcoming community at Clemson University by implementing an initiative in the classroom, workplace or campus community that fosters relationships that advance acceptance, appreciation, respect, diversity and inclusive excellence.
Nominations for the award can be submitted online at James E. Bostic, Jr. Award Nomination Form. The nomination period begins on Monday, September 4. 2017. The final deadline to submit nominations for this award is Friday, September 29, 2017 at 4 p.m.
Nominees must show evidence of advancing equity, diversity and inclusion at Clemson University in one or more of the following areas:
- Regularly demonstrates behaviors and champions ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Identifies and addresses systemic barriers to full participation in University life and helps the University community to be an inclusive and welcoming learning, working, and living environment.
- Develops innovative programs that significantly enhance Clemson’s ability to facilitate participation of all of its members, and provide opportunities for members of the Clemson community to reap the benefits of studying, living, and working in an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Actively serves underrepresented populations (among students/faculty/staff) to provide access and opportunities to increase their engagement within the Clemson community and integration into the community.
Evidence in support of the criteria must include at least two of the following:
- A clear description of the specific initiatives, qualities, or actions by the nominee as they relate to the criteria.
- Direct and indirect evidence of the impact on the student experience or the work of others at Clemson.
- Samples of reflections from the nominee and from other participants on the goals, objectives, and results of a specific initiative related to the nomination.
- Description and samples of work to demonstrate the relevant area of excellence.
- Any additional evidence addressing a focus on the relevant criteria.
For more information, contact Leslie Doss, email@example.com or 864-656-4238.