Frequently Asked Questions
- For the programs requiring a 1:1 match, does the listed award cap include the match?
The value listed does not include the match. A project listing available funds of up to $35K can be matched with up to $35K for a total project value of $70K
- Can I use another Clemson grant (e.g. TIGER Grants, IMPACT Grants) as my cost share for an R-Initiative program?
Yes, these Clemson resources may be used as cost share. However, this is only acceptable if it is permitted by the terms of the other grant(s) and by those administering the funds. PIs are expected to provide copies of their funded grant proposals and to provide a clear justification of the need for additional funds in their R-Initiative proposals. Cost shared funds must be transferred to a VPR account upon award, including cost shared funds from other Clemson grants.
- When should the fellowship commence?
Within twelve months of award announcement.
- Can the award period be less than twelve months?
Yes. The solicitation lists a two year maximum for support but no minimum. However, reviewers will be looking for proposals that include plans for transitioning researchers to other types of financial support for longer terms.
- May I request money for more than one researcher?
Each proposal should request funding for one researcher. There is no limit to the number of proposals that a department or center may submit. However, it is unlikely that a department or center will receive more than one award per cycle.
- Should fringe benefits be included in my budget calculation?
- Is submission of a grant to an external agency required for all proposals?
This is a requirement only of Tier 2 proposals.
- Where do I find the proposal template?
The proposal template can be downloaded from the R-Initiatives website. A link is provided below the Clemson SEED funding opportunity announcement.
- Can emeritus professors be hired as proposal development consultants?
Proposal development staff/consultants/firms are allowable expenses. An emeritus professor of Clemson University may be hired as a consultant so long as there is not another employment relationship with Clemson University.
- Can I use my federal grant funds as my cost share?
No. The match must come from Clemson funds. Federal grant funds may not be used as a match.