Depending on the way your workgroup is used, you may not need to make any adjustments. Below is a breakdown of the common workgroup uses and what is required in each case.
Main Workgroup Functions:
- Mailing list: We use workgroups to have a single email address to communicate to multiple users.
- File Sharing: We use workgroups to share files to multiple users.
- Canvas: We use workgroups to share resources in a course setup
Based on the main workgroup functions, the following are our recommendations for steps to follow.
Mailing list (no action needed): If you are using workgroups solely to communicate using a single mailing list address, no change is necessary for your workgroup. This function still exists and is controlled via Group Central. If you are using other workgroup functions, continue to read below.
File Sharing via Clemson Box (no action needed): If you are already using Clemson.Box.com, the file sharing solution connected to workgroups, no change is necessary for your workgroup. This function still exists and access is controlled via Group Central. If you wish for your users to access through Clemson Box through a course or are using other workgroup functions, continue to read below.
Canvas (action needed if previously used BlackBoard): If you previously used Blackboard for file sharing or for organizing content, you will need to migrate your content to a new location. If your goal is primarily file sharing, it is recommended to use Clemson.Box.com as your file quota is much larger than in Blackboard/Canvas. A Clemson Box folder can be provisioned using Group Central.
If you need content that was placed in a Blackboard Workgroup, there are a few steps you must complete in order for that content to be retrieved. Please follow these steps:
- Go to Group Central (central.clemson.edu) and under the workgroup you wish to have associated with Canvas, click on Resources
- Make sure the box next to Canvas Organization is checked.
- Save your changes
- You will now have a blank Canvas shell available.
- After completing this step, send an email to ITHELP@clemson.edu with the name of the workgroup and a link to the Canvas course.
If you need assistance migrating your materials to Canvas, please use the form below to request assistance: