The future of Clemson University is rooted in its past,born from a gift made when Thomas Green Clemson and his wife Anna Calhoun Clemson called Fort Hill their home. It was in this house that they dreamed of a high seminary of learning for South Carolina. What began as discussions between a husband and wife in this historic house has grown into one of the nation's leading public universities.
Historic Properties preserves the parts of campus that played a role in shaping our collective past. With your support, we can use our past as a bridge to the future.
The primary mission of the Department of Historic Properties is the management of Fort Hill, preserving the history of all who lived there. In addition to Fort Hill, the group maintains the Hanover House, located in the South Carolina Botanical Garden, as an historic house museum. The Historic Properties has been an advocate of campus-wide historic preservation, and the director serves as a University liaison to the State Historic Preservation Office. An Historic Properties Alumni Advisory Committee (HPAC) supports the goals of the department, including preservation planning for Hopewell, family home site of General Andrew Pickens, known as the Cherry Farm house.
2022 Fort Hill & Hanover House are Open for Public Tours
Marie Elizabeth Venning: Tracing Her Footsteps to tell Her Story
#OTD – THOMAS G. CLEMSON, IV. DIED ON APRIL 6, 1888