Skip to main content

Dual Education Program

Engineering Dual Education with Partner Schools

Clemson University offers Dual-Education degrees in cooperation with several liberal arts schools in and around South Carolina. These programs allow students to begin their academic career by pursuing a Bachelor’s degree at a partner institution while preparing for an Engineering degree from Clemson University.

  • Enroll in prearranged 3-year liberal arts or science program
  • Complete 90* hours of course credit at chosen liberal arts college/university
  • Supplement program with courses required for BS degree in Engineering

After three years, successful students may transfer to Clemson to finish the degree requirements for one of Clemson’s 10 Engineering Bachelor’s degrees. Upon completion of the Engineering degree at Clemson, students are awarded a BS degree in their Engineering major from Clemson, and a BA or BS degree from their original partner school.

Students are most successful in completing both degrees in a timely manner and using courses towards both curricula when they communicate with the Clemson Transfer Advisor early in their academic program. Planning should begin early in a student's freshman or sophomore year at the initial college, coordinating with Clemson's Dual Education Advisor, Karen Thompson. Those interested in receiving more information can be added to the Dual Education list by completing the Request Information form below, or by emailing Karen Thompson directly.


Participating Colleges

To assist students in determining the best course of study, Dual Education participants will work with an academic advisor at both institutions. Coursework and grade point average must meet CECAS program requirements before the student can transfer to Clemson University.

Students who plan to participate in the program will need to complete a form entitled, "Intention to Pursue the Dual-Degree Program at Clemson University". Please find the forms below, listed by school.

Map showing location of participating schools

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Engineering Dual Education Program at Clemson?

It is an academic partnership between two colleges that allows students to complete degree requirements at both. Students enroll initially at one of the 15 participating colleges, follow a prescribed course of study (generally in a science or math-related field), then transfer to Clemson to complete the remaining courses to earn a bachelor’s degree in an engineering field.

What do I have to do for program requirements?

Enroll in one of the participating schools, and work closely with the dual degree advisor at that school to complete the required Intent Form that is forwarded to CU. Then, follow your program requirements closely and contact the CECAS Transfer Coordinator, Karen Thompson to ensure you are on track.  You should work very closely with your home institution advisor as well as the designated Clemson advisor to ensure that you are taking the correct courses in the proper sequence and time frame.  The Clemson coordinator can help to ensure your courses will transfer, and that you take courses to prepare you to enter Clemson further progressed in your intended Engineering major.

How do I know what classes to take?

Familiarize yourself with the curriculum as it is laid out in your school’s catalog. Follow the courses carefully making sure you meet all prerequisites and co-requisites. You will also need to become familiar with your intended CU engineering curriculum and work with your advisors at both schools to take the courses in the right order. CONSULT YOUR ADVISORS FREQUENTLY as courses and/or requirements may change. You should take all courses that are required in our freshman “General Engineering” curriculum before transferring, and attempt to complete as many of the additional recommended courses as possible.

How long will it take to graduate in engineering?

It depends on you. The three years at a partner school must include a minimum of 86-92* semester credit hours. All basic requirements for the BA or BS at the partner school must be completed before transfer to Clemson. You must attend summer school at Clemson after your freshman and sophomore years to take courses not available at your school. If you start in math lower than calculus I, it may take longer to complete the program. Math is the foundation of engineering and must be mastered in order to progress in a timely manner.

Can I choose any engineering major?

Yes, but there are certain challenges you may face. Each engineering major has varied course requirements in the curriculum; some are more commonly transferred than others. Depending on which engineering degree you are interested in and what partner college you are enrolled in there will be varying challenges to keep on track. You must meet all course prerequisites just like any CU student. Some of our smaller departments offer key courses on an alternating fall/spring schedule. These courses may or may not be offered in summer due to demand or budget considerations, so it may be required for you to take courses at both CU and your current school simultaneously to stay on track.

Anything else I should know?

Advisors aim to offer accurate information to determine timely progress toward your degree. Courses and curriculum specifications are subject to change at any time. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their progress. Clemson University catalog, schedule of classes, and transfer equivalency information are available online. The CU homepage and department web pages additionally provide a valuable source of information.

*Each school has its own set minimum number of credits. Please email Karen Thompson or contact the partner school for further information.



Karen Thompson, M.Ed.
Advisor/Associate Director
Undergraduate Recruitment
☏ 864-656-2543

Feel free to contact me with any questions. You may reach me by email (preferred) or by phone Mon-Fri. Students who work closely with Clemson personnel BEFORE they transfer make a smoother transition.