The Atlantic Coast Conference
The Atlantic Coast Conference was founded on May 8, 1953, at the Sedgefield Inn near Greensboro, N.C., with seven charter members — Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Wake Forest — drawing up the conference by-laws.
The withdrawal of seven schools from the Southern Conference came early on the morning of May 8, 1953, during the Southern Conference's annual spring meeting. On June 14, 1953, the seven members met in Raleigh, N.C., where a set of bylaws was adopted and the name became officially the Atlantic Coast Conference.
On December 4, 1953, conference officials met again at Sedgefield and officially admitted the University of Virginia. The first, and only, withdrawal of a school from the ACC came on June 30, 1971 when the University of South Carolina tendered its resignation.
The ACC operated with seven members until April 3, 1978, when Georgia Tech was admitted. The Atlanta school withdrew from the Southeastern Conference in January of 1964.
The ACC expanded to nine members on July 1, 1991, with the addition of Florida State.
The conference expanded to 11 members on July 1, 2004, with the addition of the University of Miami and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. On October 17, 2003, Boston College accepted an invitation to become the league's 12th member starting with the 2005-06 academic year.
Below is a table of ACC schools with links to each institution's home page and to each office that is the equivalent of Clemson's Office of Institutional Research and Planning.
* All sports except football.