H-1B Non-Immigrant Employment Visa

Clemson University is committed to developing a faculty and community of researchers that represents top talent. Toward that end, the University facilitates the process of requesting employment authorization for qualified faculty and researchers to work at Clemson University. In many cases, the H-1B non-immigrant employment visa is the best option for non-U.S. citizens.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) states the H-1B visa is appropriate for employment authorization in a "specialty occupation" that requires both a "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States."

H-1B Eligibility

Both the position and the employee must meet the eligibility criteria set by U.S. federal regulations.

Position Offered
  • Bachelor’s degree is the minimum entry requirement for the position.
  • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree.
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position.
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or higher.
  • May be full-time or part-time. If part-time, the department must agree to track the actual hours worked by the employee (federal requirement for salaried part-time employees).
Employee Qualifications
  • Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university.
  • Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher degree in the specialty occupation.
  • Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree.
  • Have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.

International Services is responsible for processing all H-1B visa applications for international faculty, scholars, and staff. All requests for H-1B status at Clemson University must be initiated through the hiring department. If you are a hiring department interested in employing a non-U.S. citizen for H-1B employment authorization, or a current/new employee interested in obtaining an H-1B visa, International Services will guide you through the process. We are here to provide knowledgeable advice and support to all campus departments and H-1B employees. For additional information on the H-1B process, please contact International Services.