Distinguished Ethics Scholars Program
The Distinguished Ethics Scholars Program encourages and recognizes Clemson University students engaged in co-curricular education that is focused on ethics, ethical leadership, and ethical decision-making.
The Distinguished Ethics Scholars Program allows students to earn one of two scholar designations accompanied by an item to enhance your regalia at graduation: Ethics Scholar (Graduation Cord) and Distinguished Ethics Scholar (Graduation Medallion). Students will also receive a co-curricular transcript; giving them a competitive edge in the professional interviewing process upon graduation.
Students must register for the program here.
Upon registration, students will be added to the Program path in TigerQuest where you will be able to complete and monitor your progress as you move through the program. All students will begin in the Ethics Scholar pathway and those individuals wishing to complete the Distinguished Ethics Scholar pathway will then continue on.
There are four program requirement areas that determine level of participation:
Successful completion of any pre-approved three credit hour academic course (minimum grade of "C") where ethics is the main focus of the curriculum. Courses can be selected from the list below (not all courses may be offered every semester) or you can send course information for a course you believe may be eligible to Rachel Dial at firstname.lastname@example.org to get approval.
Pre-approved Ethics Classes:
AGED 4160- Ethics and Issues in Agriculture and the Food and Fiber System
BIOE 3000- Bioengineering Ethics and Entrepreneurship
COMM 3030- Communication Law and Ethics
CPSC 2920- Computing, Ethics, and Global Society
ECON 2050- Why Business?
ECON 3500- Moral and Ethical Aspects of a Market Economy
HLTH 4780- Health Policy Ethics and Law
NURS 3510- Contemporary Health Care Ethics
PHIL 1030- Introduction to Ethics
PHIL 3440- Business Ethics
PHIL 3450- Environmental Ethics
PHIL 3460- Biomedical Ethics
PHIL 3470- Ethics in Architecture
YDP 4500- Professional Issues and Ethics in Youth Development
2. Program Attendance:
- Attendance at any formal Rutland Institute for Ethics program during the academic year.
- Attendance at any formal and pre-approved Clemson University ethics-related program.
3. Program Participation:
- Being an active member of the CHANGE student ethics organization.
- Being an active part of an ethics-focused campus organization and/or volunteering for a Rutland Institute for Ethics sponsored event. Examples include the following -
- Ethics Bowl Participants
- The Clemson Philosophical Society
- Being an active part of an outside ethics-focused organization
- Rotary Club
- Presentation of poster or paper on ethics at a conference.
- Being a part of CHANGE student organization leadership.
- Developing and executing an on/off campus ethics program focused on ethical leadership and/or ethical decision-making
To obtain one of the scholar designations, students must fulfill the following requirements prior to graduation-
- Successful completion of a minimum of one (1) academic course (minimum grade of “C”) where ethics is the main focus of the curriculum.
- Attend a minimum of three (3) of the Program Attendance requirements listed above OR involvement in a minimum of one (1) of the Program Participation requirements listed above OR completion of a minimum of one (1) of the Leadership requirements listed above.
Distinguished Ethics Scholar
- Successful completion of a minimum of one (1) academic course (minimum grade of “C”) where ethics is the main focus of the curriculum AND successful completion (minimum grade of “C”) of a Department of Philosophy ethics course.
- Attend a minimum of three (3) of the Program Attendance requirements listed above.
- Involvement in a minimum of one (1) of the Program Participation requirements listed above.
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) of the Leadership requirements listed above.
|Course Work||Program Attendance||Program Participation||Leadership|
|1||3 or||1 or||1 or|
Distinguished Ethics Scholar