Skip to main content

Employment and Tax

Student Employment

On-Campus Employment for F-1 & J-1 Students

As an F-1 or J-1 student in good standing, you are eligible for on-campus employment.

An international student in F-1 or J-1 status may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week throughout the year. Please keep in mind that on-campus employment is secondary to your pursuit of a degree at Clemson University. Because of this, you must maintain full-time enrollment if you are employed on-campus.

All on-campus employment for international students must be processed by the Office of Human Resources. More information about the on-campus international student employment process is available at International Employees at Work page sponsored by the office of Human Resources:

If you are interested in obtaining on-campus employment, please consider visiting Clemson's JobLink site or the Michelin Career Center on the third floor of the Hendrix Student Center.

Off Campus Employment: Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training

F-1 Students: Following the successful completion of one academic year as a full-time student, while maintaining your immigration status, an F-1 student is eligible for off-campus employment in the form of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). Both forms of employment authorization permit an F-1 student the opportunity for real work experience in a position directly related to their field of study. For general information about OPT and CPT, please visit the Study in the States Webster guidance provided by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). For specific information including how to apply, please review the IS-130 Request for CPT Authorization form or the IS-140 Request for Post-Completion OPT Authorization .

CPT Walk-In Advising Hours: 

Meet with an international services advisor to discuss your options and learn more about the CPT program.

Tuesdays: 10:00-11:30 a.m.

Wednesdays: 2:30-4:00 p.m. 

OPT Workshop Schedule:

Attend a presentation explaining the OPT benefit, how to apply, maintenance of status, travel, and additional information. All OPT workshops are held in E-304 Martin Hall. Please arrive at the designated start time as workshops close for participation 5 minutes after the presentation begins.



Wednesday 3rd              10 a.m.

Wednesday 10th            1:30 p.m.

Tuesday 16th                 1:30 p.m.

Monday 22nd                 10 a.m.


Thursday 1st                  10 a.m.

Wednesday 7th               1:30 p.m.

Monday 19th                   10 a.m.

Tuesday 27th                  1:30 p.m.


Monday 3rd                     10 a.m.

Wednesday 12th             1:30 p.m.

Tuesday 18th                   10 a.m.

IS Advising Scheduled for Greenville:

The International Services Office will be providing advising in Greenville on the dates listed below. Please note that advising at each campus is not limited to students attending that campus. Students from CUICAR can report for advising at Greenville ONE and vice versa. Students at UCG can either report to the other campuses for walk-in advising or contact the IS office to schedule appointments at UCG. Appointments at CUICAR and Greenville ONE are recommended but not required. Students are encouraged to report for advising once per academic term to discuss topics such as CPT, OPT, and maintaining status. Please sign up for Greenville OPT workshops here.

Friday, November 30
Room 321
Advising: 9:00-12:00 & 1:00-2:00
CPT/OPT Workshop in AT&T Auditorium: 2:00

Greenville ONE
Thursday, December 13
Room 5a
Advising: 9:00-12:00 & 1:00-3:00
OPT Workshop: 3:00

Important note: If this will be your last semester and you wish to apply for OPT, please plan ahead and apply for OPT as early as possible.  Students can apply for OPT up to 90 days before their program completion date.  The application for employment authorization must be received by the USCIS Service Center no later than 60 days after the program completion date.  It can take up to 90 days for your application to be approved and the process cannot be expedited.   

Students who are currently on OPT or CPT may be able to use the USCIS E-Verify Self Check system. Through E-Verify Self Check you can voluntarily check your employment eligibility status.  

J-1 Students

International students holding J-1 status are eligible for off-campus employment in the form of “Academic Training” (AT). Like CPT and OPT, AT allows the J-1 student the opportunity to gain real world experience in a position directly related to their field of study.

Students in J-1 status wishing to gain AT authorization should schedule an appointment to meet with an international student advisor to discuss the eligibility requirements and application procedures.

U.S. Social Security Number

International students are eligible for a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) if they have verified employment in the U.S. For more information on applying for a Social Security Card, please read these instructions.