Clemson's turfgrass graduates are more than par for the course; they live their lives on the green. Graduates don't have a problem finding happiness when they surround themselves with a viable career they are passionate about. As you move through your classes, you'll learn the science, technology, management and business beyond the grass. Growing grass may seem like a simple concept, but there's more to it than just sowing a seed. Graduates who take on positions as superintendents or athletic grounds managers have high expectations from spectators and athletes for pristine playing surfaces. This requires managing a budget, employees, equipment, chemicals, environmental factors, soil and technology to produce a product that takes quite a consistent beating. We'll teach you how to manage these factors, plus you'll learn the technology and science behind the grass and which turf varieties are bred specifically for their respective region, soil and purpose.
- During the Masters, you can typically find a Clemson student interning for the Augusta National Golf Club.
- Clemson's 18-hole Walker Course has updated all of their greens to Diamond Zoysiagrass, a specialty turf perfect for the transition climate in Clemson.
- The Clemson Turf Club has won several Carolinas Turf Bowl Competitions and arranged for turf majors to attend local and national turf conferences.
- The Turf Club recently placed fourth overall at the national turf bowl competition with 73 competing teams.
- Many students are employed with Clemson's amazing turfgrass facilities at either the Walker Golf Course, athletic facilities such as Doug Kingsmore Stadium, or with the research fields for the department.
- South Carolina is home to more than 450 golf courses.
WHAT YOU'LL STUDY
As a turfgrass student, you'll find that this major takes the understanding of biology, chemistry, soils, communication and management and applies it to the real world. You'll take on course work in science, math and business in order to prepare for a career that is truly greener on the other side. Becoming a professional in this industry requires a strong knowledge as well as solid experience; therefore, each student is required to complete an internship.
Depending on your career goals, you'll have the opportunity to select from an approved list of courses to tailor your studies to your particular objective or interest area. Approved course work includes options such as plant pathology, landscape plants, environmental sciences, soil and water conservation, drainage and irrigation, microbiology and plant breeding.
- Agricultural Business Management
- Agricultural Mechanization and Business
- Business Administration
- Crop and Soil Environmental Science
- Environmental Science and Policy
Your college decision isn't really about the next four years. We get it. It's about what doors are opened by your degree and whether those opportunities are what you had envisioned for yourself. Here's a snapshot of what life after graduation looks like for some of our most recent students.
WHERE OUR RECENT GRADUATES HAVE GONE
Meherrin Agricultural and Chemical Co.
Turf Sales Representative
Helena Chemical Co.
Greenville Country Club
Hayfields Country Club
Debordieu Golf Course
RECENT POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
M.S. Plant and Environmental Sciences
COMMON CAREER AREAS
- Turfgrass Management
- Golf Courses
- Sports Fields
- Lawn Care Businesses
- Sod Productions
- Turfgrass Industry-Related Business
- Farm Management
- Research and Development
- Chemicals, Equipment and Support
- Ag Chemicals
- Turf Irrigation
- Turf Equipment (Mowers, Cutters, etc.)
- Turf Support Product and Sales
- Research and Development
- Turfgrass Specialist
- Turf Weed Specialist
- Turf Pathologist
- Turf Entomologist
- Landscape and Environmental Specialist
Used with permission from the University of Tennessee.
FIND OUT MORE
Have more questions or want more information? Fill out the form below, which goes directly to the following department contact. If you’d also like to receive general University information from Clemson’s admissions office, please follow the link to the right and sign up to join our mailing list.
Student Recruitment Coordinator