These guidelines provide information to ensure appropriate
support is given to all participants in a positive and consistent manner from
volunteer members of the Coaching and Mentoring team. Please contact Karon Donald at 656-9000 for additional assistance.
Download a printable version of these guidelines.
September 27, 2013 - Current Goal/Activity Approval form due to supervisors and SDP office for review
January 3, 2014 - Current Goal/Activity Approval form and notebooks due to supervisors and SDP office for review
March 28, 2014 - Current Goal/Activity Approval form due to supervisors and SDP office for review
May 16, 2014 - Current Goal/Activity Approval form and notebooks due to supervisors and SDP office for review
It is the responsibility of each participant to schedule an appointment with a Coaching/Mentoring member in addition to meeting all deadline dates.
A participant may be dismissed involuntarily from the SDP if that participant fails to meet two consecutive prescribed program deadlines or if the participant has not completed a reasonable amount of progress toward completion of the approved plan. Deadlines and benchmarks are set for the express purpose of tracking a participant’s progress through the program and ensuring work is being done in a manner that allows successful completion of the program. This involuntary removal from the program, which may be appealed (see Participant Continuation Policy), is not a grievable action.
Role of Coaching Team:
- Assist participants with restructuring or simplifying goals to ensure the participant’s plan is doable, realistic, measurable, and attainable, has adequate built-in activity hours, and complies with the SDP.
- Be consistent, maintain SDP rules at all times,
and reschedule the participant’s appointment and contact the Coaching Chair for
advisement when the participant's plan is uncertain.
- Report follow-up with coaching members after the
approval review meeting throughout the approval review period to ensure SDP
compliance and participant advisement is consistent.
- At the conclusion of approval/review meeting, before
endorsing the participant's plan, consult with Coaching Team for major
recommendation changes to determine if the participant's original plan requires
the Steering Committee’s approval.
- Contact Karon Donald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-656-9000 should a second
approval/review meeting be required and/or in the event a Coaching member must
cancel a scheduled appointment.
- Maintain objectivity and confidentiality.
Welcome to the SDP program. The Coaching team is made up of CU employee volunteers and is available to assist you with your program. The Coaching team will have scheduled meetings periodically or will meet with you by appointment. If you have general questions about SDP procedure, need clarity regarding forms or want to schedule an appointment and meet with a Coaching member, please contact Karon Donald at 864-656-9000 or email@example.com. Submitting requested documents by the posted deadline dates while adhering to SDP rules that govern participants is crucial to continuing in the SDP program. Failure to do so is considered grounds for dismissal from the program as described in the Participant Continuation Policy.
- Contact Karon Donald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-656-9000 if you have any questions or would like to request an appointment with a Coaching member.
- Include documentation for Professional and University/Service
development showing completion of activities, whether the activity is
an online class-Skillport, college lecture, seminar or training session, reading
a book, providing maintenance service, assisting with “Move-In Day” or Habitat
for Humanity, or any preapproved activities listed on participants plan, the
appropriate SDP form must be included in the participants portfolio. To access
forms visit the SDP website and click on the following link: http://www.clemson.edu/faculty-staff/sdp/documents-forms.html.
- Personal development does not
require signatures to validate completion of an activity but a log, journal
entry, writing a brief summary of the results and the anticipated or expected outcome
in addition to how the activity was beneficial to the participant is required.
- SDP Application information to assist : http://media.clemson.edu/sdp/application-guide.pdf
- Participants are responsible for seeking
assistance and guidance when problems arise and may contact Karon Donald for
scheduling a consultation appointment with a coaching member.
- Notify the coaching member in advance to
cancel a scheduled appointment and contact Karon Donald to reschedule. Remember,
coaching members are CU volunteers and may not always be available, so plan
- All participants who graduate from the program must complete at least 15 hours of service to the SDP from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.
- Participants may begin completing actvities approved on original application form (which will be transferred to the goal/activity approval form) on July 1. No other activity hours may be counted before the SDP
Steering committee approves the final goal/activity approval form.
- Participants enrolled in college courses, including
distance learning and online courses, may count contact hours only. Per
the Registrar’s Office: 720 minutes equals 12 hours or 1-credit
hour; a 3-credit hour course equals 36 hours; a 4-credit
hour course equals 48 hours.
- Participants may count the contact hours for seminars,
activities and events at the conclusion of the event and must include
documentation before progress logs/reports are due.
- Only hours spent actually participating in seminars,
workshops or training sessions may be counted. If you attend a day-long
conference but only participate in a 2 hour workshop, you may only count 2
hours on your Activity form and Activity log.
- SkillPort: count the Estimated Duration time listed in the details for the
- Course requirements:
- Participants must earn a passing score in order to receive credit for coursework.
- Reading Books formula:
- Time spent reading is
calculated at 1 page per minute which equals 60 pages per hour and should
include the information listed below when completing the Activity form and the Publication Reading Approval form:
- Book title.
- Type of book (Periodical,
Research, Instructional, History, Education, Pleasure, etc.).
- Number of pages read.
- Project plan reading goal
will be applied to (Professional, personal, or service).
- What you achieved by reading
- How the publication was
relevant to your project plan goal.
- Change in job duties/responsibilities,
relocation, and/or retirement, etc.
- **Illness, death, or other unforeseen circumstances.
Off-Plan Activity Form:
In the event that an activity is cancelled due to extenuating circumstances** the participant must submit an Off-Plan Activity Form to the Steering Committee for approval before participating in a different activity. No off-plan activity hours will be counted without prior approval from the Steering Committee.
The form must be completed far enough in advance that it can be presented for approval to the Steering Committee prior to the participant participating in the off-plan activity.
Seminar and Event Resources: