Food Safety for Entrepreneurs Online Workshop Starting February 22!
The Clemson Food2Market program has scheduled a Food Safety for Food Entrepreneur Class for February 2018. This class is perfect for people who are starting a food production business as well as those who already established in the marketplace.
The class will be delivered in two segments. Segment one is an 8-week online study and segment 2 is a one day in-person workshop. Both segments are required to receive a certificate of completion.
Topics covered include:
- State and Federal Regulations
- What is an Approved Facility?
- Food Safety Planning
- Product Testing
- Nutrition Labeling
- Food Processing 101
- Documents and Record Keeping
- Traceability and Recall
- Resources for Business
The online portion will cover 7 chapters. A new chapter will open at the beginning of each week and is designed for you to work on at your own pace. Chapter one will open on February 22, 2018.
Segment 2 is a one day in-person workshop, in Columbia, on April 19. This workshop will include lecture summaries, Q & A sessions with top food safety professionals and a networking session where you are encouraged to showcase your product while networking with fellow entrepreneurs. This is a unique opportunity to meet and interact with food safety experts and regulators throughout the day.
Food2Market is a Clemson Extension program designed to help food entrepreneurs through the many steps of food safety regulations that are necessary to prepare food products for sale. Our faculty and staff have extensive knowledge in food safety, food processing and packaging and the federal and state regulations that are necessary in South Carolina to produce and market your products for sale.
- Guide food entrepreneurs in the appropriate steps needed to begin the production of a food product.
- Assist food entrepreneurs in ensuring that their product is produced in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Provide food entrepreneurs with assistance in food safety including product testing, and product packaging.
- Offer a variety of educational opportunities for food entrepreneurs to assist with a business startup as well as continuing education to help make their product(s) successful.
- Provide connections to helpful governmental, professional and educational resources to assist the food entrepreneur in the success of their business.
If you have questions, please contact:
Kimberly Baker, PhD, RD, LD