Office of Residency Classification
Petition for Change in Residency Status
Please carefully read the South Carolina Code of Law for "Resident Tuition and Fees" which contains residency requirements, procedures, and appeal information. Please click here to review the documents.
Submit the completed petition and all supporting documentation to the following address:
(Faxes are not accepted.)
- The petition deadline is the day prior to the first day of classes for the semester you are seeking in-state status. Petitions will be accepted three (3) times per year for Fall, Spring and Summer 1.
- Failure to complete all applicable sections of the petition may result in a denial of in-state status.
- Only one petition may be filed per semester.
- No requests are accepted for retroactive changes.
- No materials or documentation will be returned after the petition is submitted.
- The review of the petition and an initial determination of the status may take as long as six (6) to eight (8) weeks, not including the subsequent appeals. You will be responsible for all late fees and finance charges during the entire process.
- Read the document carefully and complete any and all sections of the petition that apply to you.
- Parent/spouse/legal guardian application must be completed regardless of financial independence, for all applicants who are under age 24 years.
- In the cases where affidavits are accepted, they must be dated, notarized, and contain information as specific as possible including dates, addresses, amounts, etc. Please check in advance.