Institutional Biosafety Committee
The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is responsible for reviewing all research that involves the use of recombinant DNA in accord with the NIH Guidelines (NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules) and ensuring that the proposed activities comply with the federal regulations governing them.
Clemson University IBC reviews/approves the following research:
- use of recombinant DNA or synthetic nucleic acid molecules
- use of hazardous biological agents (BSL-2 and above)
- use of select agents or toxins
- use of hazardous chemicals with vertebrate animals
- use of nanomaterials with any of the above categories