Warren Lasch Conservation Center

Welcome to the Warren Lasch Conservation Center. The "Lasch Lab" is at the heart of the Clemson University Restoration Institute in North Charleston. The 45,917-square-foot facility houses state-of-the-art equipment from electron-microscopes to 3-dimensional scanners. The lab also houses the offices of the Restoration Institute.


The lab is a state-of-the-art materials analysis and characterization facility that can analyze artifacts or modern materials of metal, wood, textiles, polymers, glass, or ceramics. The tank room houses a 90,000-gallon tank with two 20-ton cranes on rails where research and conservation is conducted on the 1860s submarine H.L. Hunley.

An international team of materials scientists, chemical engineers, archeologists, and conservators are developing new processes for digitally documenting and conserving fragile metal artifacts that have suffered extreme corrosion. As a result of this research and its growing international reputation, the Warren Lasch Conservation Center was selected to host the triennial meeting of the ICOM-CC Metal Working Group, METAL 2010, in Charleston. It marked the first time the international conference was held in the United States.

Current News:


July 2, 2014 - CSS Alabama artifacts returned to US Navy -
CSS Alabama Artifacts Preserved
CSS Alabama Project Page

The Warren Lasch Conservation Center has been conserving artifacts recovered from the CSS Alabama (1863) shipwreck for the US Navy since 2001. In June 2014, they were returned to the Navy.


View past headlines here.