Looking for a Roommate or Sublet
- Meet any potential roommates or sublets before agreeing to room with them or allowing them to sublet your apartment.
- Talk about your expectations and do not agree to live with someone or sublet to someone who will not respect your apartment or living preferences.
- Do not make rent or other expense payments for roommates or sublets
What to Discuss with Roommates
- Who will occupy specific bedrooms and how the rent will be spilt per person, if not stated in the lease.
- Concerning the purchase of food - will it be for individual or communal consumption?
- The purchase of household supplies and furniture.
- Who places the utilities in their name, and how those are paid each month.
- The use of personal items and individual property. Think of the major items like personal computers and entertainment equipment as well as smaller items like toiletries
- How to remedy situations when personal property is damaged or comes up missing when the responsible party cannot be identified
- Creating a policy for entertaining guests. Discuss with your roommates rules on overnight guests and how long guests can stay.
Conflicts do occur between roommates. It is important to try and resolve disputes promptly when they arise with tact and honesty. Remember, try to remain calm and diplomatic when dealing with these disagreements. Open lines of communication can be critical in helping to resolve disputes in an effective manner. If you are unable to resolve a conflict, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 864-656-0935 and one of our staff members can evaluate the situations to see how we can be most helpful.