Finance Division

Student Travel Guidelines

Trips for which the primary purpose is to benefit students would be considered student travel. Student travel may consist of students:

1. attending a conference or seminar (possibly as a participant).
2. taking a field trip in relation to their course work.
3. traveling as a recognized club event.

Travel costs related to an employee traveling as an advisor/chaperone may be treated as student group travel costs. All expenses may be submitted on one travel voucher. Travel costs for chaperones who are not University employees (i.e. volunteers) should be treated as student group travel costs.

Job related travel for a student employee (i.e. grad research assistant), is to be treated as student travel.

With adequate planning, any of the following methods may be used to fund the trip.

1. Student travel is allowable on procurement card. May need to have limit on card increased. (cards limited to $2500)
2. Faculty member may receive cash advance from Cash and Treasury in accordance with per diem guidelines.
3. Faculty member and/or students may pay expenditures out of their own funds and request reimbursement upon return.
4. Obtain advance invoices and prepay expenditures.
5. For International travel, it is recommended that the procurement card be used or that funds be wired to a foreign bank.

Funding Options

A. State funds
B. Sponsored Projects (grant) funds
C. Discretionary or Foundation funds
D. Fees paid by participants

Required Documentation

1. List of all participants. (Name and ID #)
2. Paid hotel receipts (number of rooms must be in line with number of participants)
3. Meals: Refer to meals section.

If each student is paying his/her own expenses, actual lodging expenses may be reimbursed. A University purchase order is not required. Reimbursement should be claimed on a DPV.

Meals will be reimbursed at actual costs not to exceed per diem, except when applicable.
· Faculty member pays for meals for entire group: Must have receipts to get reimbursed for actual cost, not to exceed per diem.
· Faculty member gives per diem money to each participant: Each participant must sign indicating receipt of the funds. Recommended documentation would include participants' name, ID number and signature and the amount received. No receipts required.
· Student traveling and paying his/her own costs: Student may claim actual expense up to per diem. No receipts required.
· Fee for conference event related to trip (i.e. banquet) where amount exceeds meal per diem: With receipts, can be reimbursed for actual costs.

Transportation may be provided in several different manners:
· Rental car through University Contract Vendor
· Air travel
· Contracted transportation (i.e. charter bus). Purchase Order required if greater than $2,500, unless being paid for with participant fees.
· Mileage reimbursement at the University approved rate. Reimbursement must be claimed on separate vouchers for each vehicle owner.

Other Incidental Costs
Comply with University employee travel guidelines.

Travel Insurance Coverage
Contact the University Office of Risk Management to obtain information on the purchase of travel insurance.

When Procurement Rules Apply

For group travel where a trip is packaged (i.e. hotel and airfare, etc…) by a travel agent or equivalent (e.g. Orbtiz, Travelocity, other online “travel agents”, etc…), or for contracted transportation such as a charter bus, State and University Procurement rules must be followed and bids/prices must be obtained. A purchase order must be issued PRIOR to the travel in order to prevent the purchase from being an unauthorized procurement.  For dollar limits and number of bids required, refer to Procurement Services Policies and Procedures Contact Procurement Services for further assistance.