Promotion, Tenure and Faculty Evaluation
Promotion, Tenure and Reappointment Information
COVID-19 Tenure Clock Extension Request
The COVID-19 pandemic has created, and will continue to create, unprecedented challenges, disruptions, and adjustments for faculty, both personally and professionally. Many faculty are concerned about the impact of the pandemic on their ability to earn tenure. Please note that University leaders understand the challenges and concerns and are identifying and implementing ways to support faculty to the fullest extent possible.
On April 17, 2020 Robert H. Jones, executive vice president of academic affairs and provost, and Danny Weathers, president of Faculty Senate, issued a joint memo indicating that all tenure-track faculty hired prior to July 1, 2020 who enter their penultimate year after the 2020-2021 academic year are eligible to request a one-year extension in their tenure clock. The forms to do so and the memo from Jones and Weathers, with more detail, follow below.
If faculty have any questions about the process they can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provost Office Calendar of TPR Dates and Deadlines
TPR Best Practices
Digital Measures - Faculty Activity Reporting, Annual Review and Tenure ProcessesDigital Measures Overview
Digital Measures Account Login
Digital Measures - TPR WorkflowCalendar of Dates and Deadlines
Resource Guide for DigitalMeasures-TPRworkflow System
TPR File Upload Directions and File Tips for DigitalMeasures-TPRworkflow
Using DigitalMeasures to Document Teaching Effectiveness
Resource Materials for Tenure and Promotion Candidates:Deadline Schedule for Tenure and Promotion Candidates
TPRworkflow Sections Overview
TPR Dossier Tables Required for Tenure and Promotion Dossiers
E-mail Launching DigitalMeasures, Fall 2020 - sent to TPR candidates, department chairs, TPR chairs, associate deans, and deans
(Archive access of previous system) - eTPR Notebook for Tenure, Promotion, Reappointment or Post-Tenure RevieweTPR Notebook
Departmental Bylaws and TPR Guidelines
Departmental GuidelinesDepartmental Bylaws and TPR Guidelines
Faculty Rank Promotion Increase Amounts
|Prior to 2013||2013||2015||2018|
|Senior Lecturer||$ -||0%||5%||5%|
Faculty Activity System - Legacy ResourceFAS Website
Faculty Annual Review: eForm3 (Legacy Resource)eForm3
Extension of the Probationary Period
- Birth or placement of a child
- Probationary faculty may receive up to two automatic one-year extensions of the tenure decision for the birth or placement of a child during their probationary period; however, additional written requests may be submitted to the department chair and granted upon approval of the TPR committee, department chair, dean and Provost.
- These requests must be submitted to the department chair. If the request for an extension is received between six months before and one year after the date of birth or placement of a child, it is automatically granted, with timely written notification to the Provost and the probationary faculty member by the department chair.
- Serious illness, family tragedy or other special circumstances
- Request for an extension of the probationary period at the request of a faculty member for serious illness, family tragedy or other special circumstances may be submitted to the department chair and granted upon the approval of the TPR committee, department chair, dean and Provost.
- Extensions of the probationary period for any reason can only come at the request of the faculty member as long as the faculty member is capable of making the request.
- Exceptional circumstances can arise that make it impossible for the faculty member to request the extension of the probationary period prior to the faculty member’s penultimate year.
- In only such extreme cases, the Provost may choose to extend the probationary period without consulting the incapacitated faculty member with the approval of the department chair, dean, and TPR. This extension shall be conveyed in writing to the faculty member.