Frequently Asked Questions about Registration

Advising procedures and policies vary college by college and department by department. This page is an attempt to provide general information for faculty and professional advisors in order to improve the registration process. For more specific information, check the departmental web pages or the Registrar’s web page.

1. When should I meet with my advisees?

Advisors are expected to meet with their advisees during the two-week period prior to registration. Many advisors post a sign up list outside their office in order for students to schedule appointment times.

2. How will I know how many advisees I have and who they are?

You should have received a list of your advisees at the beginning of the semester along with information on their academic progress. Check with your department head or designated student coordinator if you have not received this information.

3. How can I get information about a student’s academic progress?

Individual degree progress reports are printed and distributed to departments along with the advising cards. Check with your departmental secretary or student services coordinator for disbursal process. Click here for more information on the how to interpret the degree progress.

4. Why does a student need an advising number?

The advising card contains a five-digit number that provides initial access into the registration system in order to sign up for classes. No student can access the system without this number. Advising numbers change each semester. Students may access the registration system without the advising number after the first access. Advising numbers are also printed on the degree progress report and may be accessed from the student database. (See question 8.)

5. Can I leave the advising cards and degree progress reports outside my office and just let the students pick them up?

Face-to-face meetings with students are important. Self-advised students make mistakes. Many errors that can impede graduation are detected or prevented during registration advising. Certain classes that a student may want to take may not be available. Major and minor requirements need to be approved. Changes in the curriculum occur. This is an opportunity to help your advisee really consider his or her career path or academic progress.

6. What is the credit limit at registration?

First semester freshmen at summer orientation are limited to 17 hours.

Probation students (CGPR less than 2.0) are limited to 15 hours.

All other students are limited to 19.

7. What if a student wants to register for more than the limit?

Students wishing to register for more than 21 credits must have their request approved by the department chair of their major. All other requests must be approved by the advisor and the credit limit raised on line before a student registers for courses.

8. How do I raise a student’s credit limit?

Go to the UADV screen in the Student Database. Type in the CU ID# and enter. Tab down to the appropriate semester and overtype the old limit with the new. Hit enter. The refreshed screen should now reflect the new limit.

TIP: You can also see the student’s advising number on this screen.

However, advisors must carefully weigh the advantages and disadvantages of approving very heavy credit loads and advise students accordingly. Students with full time jobs, family responsibilities, financial obligations, or poor academic performance are at greater risk of failing or leaving.

9. What if a student wishes to take a course somewhere other than Clemson?

A student may attend any regionally accredited community college, technical school, or university and earn credit for coursework completed as long as:

a. the course in question is evaluated by the faculty of the department in which it is taught and determined to be equivalent to a Clemson course.

b. the grade earned in the course is a C or higher.

c. the student completes a Request for Approval of Work Taken Elsewhere Form prior to enrolling in the course.

10. How do I know if a course taken at another institution is equivalent to a Clemson course?

Advisors and students may determine course equivalency by checking the on-line Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL).

11. What if a course or school isn’t in the TCEL?

Students may take a course description either from the school’s catalog or on-line information to the department in which the course is taught. For example, a math course is evaluated by Clemson’ s math faculty. There are designated course evaluators for every department here.

12. What if a student wishes to change his or her major?

Ideally, students should have prepared for this before registration. However, many don’t. A student should pick up a change of major card from 104 Sikes Hall, take it to the new department first for a signature and course advising, and bring the card back to the original department to be signed out. A list of departmental contacts may be found in the university phone book or refer to those listed on the transfer advisors website.

13. Can’t financial aid affect registration?

Yes, it can. However, there are too many types of financial aid to become expert on all of them. The best strategy is to refer a student directly to the financial aid office in G-01 Sikes Hall. The staff can check on each individual’s aid package and advise them accordingly. Students and advisors can access financial aid information on-line from the university homepage.

14. What do I tell a student who says there are no seats in a class he/she wants?

Tell the student to use the request log. Some departments use this to add students, some don’t. However, most departments use it to decide whether to add additional seats or sections. Since there is no guarantee that a student will be added from the request log, it is best for the student to keep checking and to add the class if an opening is available.

15. What other things should I discuss with my advisees?

Registration is a good time to question students about academic progress, career options, and activities outside the classroom. Many times problems are revealed and can be resolved before they become impossible to fix. Students can be informed about co-op or internships, directed to the Michelin Career Center if unsure of a major, or reminded of critical policies such as filling out the form for graduation.