The establishment of an international agreement can be as simple as obtaining approval and signatures on our general MOU template or as complicated as developing an articulation agreement for a feeder institution or 2+2 program, or negotiating terms of balance on an exchange. While the process can be slow, rarely does it require considerable time from any one person. The pace is determined by the number of steps for review and approval at EACH institution and the challenges of working with different academic calendars, work weeks and time zones. Despite the pace, the process rarely breaks down. We repeatedly see both patience and flexibility reap reward. So, please plan the launch date at least 12–18 months out.
The process may include:
1. Establishing a general Memorandum of Understanding with the partner. Complete the approval form and email it along with the MOU as an attachment to the OGE liaison for this project. OGE will obtain signatures from the Provost.
Note: If the partner requests changes to the MOU language, additional review and approval will be required at CU prior to obtaining Provost’s signature.
2. Determining the type of activity agreement needed. Some of the more common activity agreements include Student Exchanges, Hosting Internships, Faculty Exchange, Articulation Agreements (2+2 and feeder institutions) and agreement to host study abroad programs.
3. Negotiating details of activity agreement with partner institution.
4. Navigating the review process. General MOUs and student exchanges are relatively straightforward, however, more complex activities may require review by other offices such as, import/export control, General Counsel, Graduate School, Curricular units, Risk Management, procurement, Student Financial Services and Board of Trustees. OGE liaison will ascertain appropriate level of approvals required.
5. Obtaining signatures. OGE will obtain Provost’s signature and coordinate partner signatures with the Department Liaison.
6. Recording and Reporting completed agreement. OGE will add agreement to database and alert Vice Provost for Academic Affairs for SACS and CHE notification.