Dr. Theodore G. Westmoreland and the Class of 1956
The Beginnings of the Academic Success Center
Today’s Academic Success Center traces its roots to a small academic success program, known as the Academic Support Center, which was housed in Cooper Library and offered assistance for a few selected courses. Students who utilized the Center’s services showed significant improved academic performance. As the Center staff began to expand services, they ran into a problem – they were running out of space to offer services. It quickly became apparent that if Clemson wanted to support and expand the Center’s services, more space would be needed and that private funding would be needed to construct a new building.
The ’56 Golden Tiger Committee
In 2001, at their 45th anniversary reunion, Clemson’s Class of 1956 committed to raising funds for a 50th anniversary project. This commitment led to the creation of the ’56 Golden Tiger committee to choose a project. The committee decided to build a new home for the Academic Support Center, soon to be known as the Academic Success Center. The Class believed this project was unique, would improve Clemson, and would change the lives of many students.
Transforming the Academic Success Center
The project was a big challenge for the small Class of 1956, but the committee had faith in the Class’ support of Clemson University and Clemson students. The Class’s dedication was evident at the groundbreaking ceremony on June 20, 2008 and, again, at the building dedication on April 12, 2012.
Dr. Theodore G. Westmoreland
One member of the Class of 1956, Theodore “Ted” G. Westmoreland, DVM, believes that an integral part of success is giving back to the community. Dr. Westmoreland grew up on a farm in Clover, South Carolina and raised cattle, which he later sold to pay for his Clemson tuition. He studied pre-veterinary medicine at Clemson University for two years and then transferred to the University of Georgia to complete his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. He served in the United States Air Force and later founded a veterinary practice in Shelby, North Carolina. He and his wife, Margaret Corbett Westmoreland, have five children and many grandchildren. Dr. Westmoreland put his philosophy of giving back to the community into action by founding the Dr. T.G. Westmoreland Academic Success Program as part of the Class of 1956’s 50th anniversary project. Additionally, he established the T.G. Westmoreland Scholarship Endowment for animal and veterinary science majors and is a major supporter of IPTAY.
We at the Academic Success Center are grateful for the support of the Class of 1956 and Dr. Ted Westmoreland.