Student Financial Aid Federal School Code: 003425

Other Programs

Nonresident Aid

Some states offer their residents grants that can be used at out-of-state institutions. Nonresident students should check with their home states or districts to determine if grants or tuition waivers are available for use at Clemson.

Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 created two types of tax credits for families to offset tuition costs. These are nonrefundable tax credits, not scholarships, that reduce the amount of federal income tax families must pay. Families who will benefit are middle- and lower-middle-income families who do not receive enough gift aid to cover tuition payments.

The Hope tax credit is valued up to $1,500 per tax year, per child, for the first two years of undergraduate study. The Lifetime tax credit is up to $2,000 per year, per family, for an unlimited number of years. The credit varies according to family income, tuition costs and amount of gift assistance received.

To be eligible, a taxpayer must file a tax return, must owe taxes and must claim the student as an exemption (self, spouse or dependent). Additionally, married filers must file jointly. The tax credit is phased out completely for single tax filers with adjusted gross incomes of more than $51,000 and more than $103,000 for joint filers. Tax filers should contact their tax adviser for details.

Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997

Other educationally related federal incentives include tax-free Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, penalty-free withdrawals from IRAs and 401(k)s and excludable contributions to prepaid tuition plans. Families should consult their tax adviser about these options.

National and State Agencies

Students should investigate sources of financial assistance, such as veterans' educational benefits, Social Security benefits and grants for the disabled through the SC Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Free Tuition

There are educational benefits for veterans, war orphans, and children of deceased or disabled law enforcement officers or fire fighters.

The Veterans Administration provides educational assistance for veterans and children of deceased or totally disabled veterans who meet requirements of applicable laws and regulations. Any veteran or child of a deceased or totally disabled veteran should communicate with the nearest Veterans Administration Office to determine whether he/she is entitled to any educational benefits. Free tuition is available to children of South Carolina law enforcement officers or fire fighters who were totally disabled or killed in the line of duty. Certification is required from the agency of the parent’s employment. Upon presentation of proof of eligibility, a student shall not become eligible for educational assistance until the beginning of the next academic term.

Senior Citizens

South Carolina residents who are at least 60 years of age may qualify for free tuition. Applicants who are auditing classes must obtain an audit card and waiver application form from the Registrar’s Office in 102 Sikes Hall to initiate enrollment each semester. Degree-seeking students must complete a waiver application form through the Financial Aid Office in G-01 Sikes Hall each semester. The waiver must be submitted prior to the first day of class and is not retroactive to prior terms. All questions should be directed to the Financial Aid Office at 864-656-2280.

Cooperative Education

This program integrates a student’s academic studies with career-related work experience in the private or public sector. Students are NOT eligible for financial aid during Co-op assignments unless they are simultaneously enrolled at Clemson University for at least six hours. Co-op students with academic recruiting scholarships who maintain eligibility may request that their scholarships be deferred for their co-op semesters and receive stipends in a later semester not to exceed eight semesters or they may receive the stipend during a summer if enrolled full-time (12 hours) depending on Co-op schedules. However, they may receive only two stipends per award year and should schedule work assignments to receive the maximum benefits. Details are available from the Cooperative Education Office, located in the Michelin Career Center, third floor of the Hendrix Student Center, or at or from Financial Aid in Sikes Hall.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Programs

Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC offers two-, three- and four-year scholarships that pay tuition and fees, books and laboratory expenses. In addition, a monthly stipend of $250 to $400 is paid directly to scholarship recipients. For more information about Army ROTC, call 864-656-4912, visit Johnstone Hall (next to the Student Post Office) or go online to Army ROTC. For Air Force ROTC information, call 864-656-3254, visit 300 Tillman Hall or go online to Air Force ROTC.  Please be aware that some ROTC programs may affect other scholarship funding, especially merit non-resident or merit out-of-state scholarships, that you may have been offered from Clemson University.  Please follow up with the Financial Aid Office in Sikes Hall for specifics concerning your scholarships.