Clemson University, South Carolina Wordmark

Applying for a Program

River running through a row of colorful buildings

Application Deadlines:

March 1 for Summer/Fall semester programs

October 1 for Spring semester programs

Application Materials:

Study Abroad Application Form

Study Abroad Application Form (Fillable)

Each type of program has unique requirements and steps in the application process. Take a look at the section below that matches your program type to see what you need.

Faculty-Led Programs

When you submit your application, you will also be required to submit a deposit that is applied to the program fee. Usually this deposit is $250, but this varies by program. Contact the faculty leader or our office for specific information about program costs. If you receive financial aid at Clemson, you need to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans to study abroad.

You Will Need:

Exchange Programs

Discuss your application to the exchange university with an adviser in our office. Foreign application materials vary by institution. If you receive financial aid at Clemson, you need to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans to study abroad.

You Will Need:

Third-Party Programs

You are responsible for completing the application to your third-party organization. Contact our office if you have questions or concerns about this process. If you receive financial aid at Clemson, you need to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans to study abroad.

You Will Need:

Additional Application Materials

Academic Reference: This form is included in the application form and should be completed by a professor or academic adviser—someone who is familiar with your academic performance. Some programs may require more than one reference.

Study Abroad Insurance: Clemson University study abroad insurance is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Enrollment in CISI insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students, even if their program also provides insurance. The policy covers basic medical expenses, medical evacuation, medical reunion, repatriation, and a security evacuation rider. Enrollment is $36/month for each month that the student is studying abroad. For more information about health, safety, and the CISI insurance policy, click here.
Download the Insurance Enrollment Form

Coursework Approval Form: This form helps students and advisers in planning study abroad course choices. In meetings with a study abroad adviser and your academic adviser, you will determine which courses to take during your program and find Clemson University equivalents for those courses. You can also use the TCEL to find courses. If a you recieve financial aid at Clemson, you need to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your plans to study abroad. The FA Office will sign your form before you return it to the Study Abroad Office. When you return from a program, your foreign transcripts are compared to the CWAF forms, then approved by the registrar and credits (not grades) are added to your Clemson transcripts. You must earn a grade of "C" or higher for credit to transfer.
Download the Coursework Approval Form
See list of departmental faculty advisers

Passport: You will need a passport to travel abroad. Your passport should be valid through 6 months after your program ends, so you may need to renew your passport. Allow several months for ordering or renewing a passport and submitting copies to the Study Abroad Office and your program

Visas: Students studying abroad often have to obtain student or tourist visas, depending on the length of their stay. Each country has different requirements in their application process. The Study Abroad Office does not coordinate visa applications for all study abroad students; there are some programs that are an exception. Discuss visa requirements with Study Abroad staff.

Flight Itinerary: The Study Abroad Office requires a copy of your flight itinerary to and from your program location.

Transcript: Your program will require you to submit an official or unofficial copy of your Clemson University transcript with your application. Official copies can be requested through the registrar’s office in 104 Sikes Hall or online via the registrar's website. You can access an unofficial copy through iROAR.

Pre-Departure Orientation: All Clemson students participating in study abroad are required to attend a pre-departure orientation session held by the Study Abroad Office. These sessions provide you with valuable information on safety, health, insurance, course registration, cultural adjustment and other important topics related to your time abroad. Available pre-departure orientation sessions are listed below and on our calendar page.

DateSession TimesLocation
Monday 4/14/14 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Student Senate Chambers
Tuesday 4/15/14 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Student Senate Chambers
Wednesday 4/16/14 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Student Senate Chambers
Thursday 4/17/14 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Student Senate Chambers
Monday 4/21/14 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Student Senate Chambers
Tuesday 4/22/14 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Student Senate Chambers

37/43 Residency Policy: This form is designed to prevent students from receiving a Clemson degree if they completed most of their coursework elsewhere. For study abroad purposes, it notifies the Office of Undergraduate Studies that a junior or senior student will be taking courses (a percentage of their last 43 hours) through a non-Clemson university or program.
Download the 37/43 Residency Form