Basic and applied research provides the knowledge and innovation that will drive the 21st century economy. Research contributes to the quality of the undergraduate learning environment and supports our top-20 priorities by enhancing academic reputation. ClemsonForward sets a new bar for research and scholarly work.
Clemson University has made great strides in research in recent years, culminating in our distinction as a Carnegie R1: Doctoral University (highest research activity). To further build our research reputation, and in support of our faculty, the Division of Research is making additional funding opportunities available within the University. Read more at Clemson Research's R-Initiatives.
Core Strategies for Success
- Refocus research mission and increase nationally competitive scholarship and funding in six innovation clusters:
- advanced materials;
- cyber-infrastructure and big data science;
- energy, transportation and advanced manufacturing;
- human resilience;
- health innovation; and
- sustainable environments.
- Grow targeted research investments. Supporting these six innovation areas will require that Clemson both increase research investment and carefully target those investments.
- Raise research expectations and reward research excellence: Benchmarking data shows that while Clemson is a very high performing research university, there is opportunity to grow in scholarship quantity, visibility and impact.