Final Exam, History 830, Communism in China
Due December 15
Answer THREE of these questions. Answers should be about 1,000 to 1,200 words each, really
not over 1,500 words.
- The Communists used to talk a lot about class struggle. To what extent, and when, did this
represent a rational approach to real issues in Chinese society? To what extent, and when, did it not?
- What was Chairman Mao trying to accomplish in the Cultural Revolution?
- Since Chairman Mao died, the level of inequality in Chinese society--the size of the gap between the
more prosperous and less prosperous elements in society--has grown A LOT. To what extent should this be
considered a good thing, and to what extent should it be considered a bad thing?
- How good or bad has village-level leadership been in China, since 1949? Base your
answer on Houhua and Chen Village.
- How realistic or unrealistic has the United States been, in its understanding of Communist China,