Dr. Thatcher's research examines the influence of individual beliefs and characteristics on adaptive and maladaptive uses of information technology. He also studies strategic and human resource management issues related to the effective application of information technologies in organizations.
His work appears in leading information systems journals such MIS Quarterly (5 times), Information Systems Research (2 times), Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal of the AIS (3 times), European Journal of Information Systems (4 times), Journal of Strategic Information Systems (2 times), IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management (5 times), and ACM Transactions on Information Systems. His work also appears in leading management journals such as Journal of Management, American Review of Public Administration, the Journal of Applied Psychology, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
Dr. Thatcher won the College of Business and Behavioral Science 2006 Emerging Scholar Research Award and 2012 Senior Scholar Research Award at Clemson University. His work has been funded by grants or gifts in kind from the National Science Foundation, National Parks Service, Salesforce.com, IBM and other organizations.
29. Lankton, N., McKnight, J.B., Wright, R., and Thatcher, J.B., (Conditionally Accepted). “Incorporating Trust-in- Technology into Expectation Disconfirmation Theory.” Information Systems Research.
28. Tams, S., Grover, V., and Thatcher, J. (2014). Modern Information Technology in an Old Workforce: Toward a Strategic Research Agenda. Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Volume 23, Issue 4, 284–304.
27. Dinger, M.R., Thatcher, J.B., Treadway, D., and Stepina, L. (Forthcoming). “Professionalism, Performance, and Turnover in the IT Workforce: An Empirical Examination. Journal of the AIS.
26. Gerow, J. Thatcher, J.B., and Grover, V. (Forthcoming). Six Types of IT-Business Strategic Alignment: An Investigation of the Constructs and Their Measurement.” European Journal of Information Systems. 1-27.
25. Gerow, J., Grover, V., Thatcher, J.B., and Roth, P. (Forthcoming). “Looking Toward the Future of IT-Business Strategic Alignment through the Past: A Meta-Analysis.” MIS Quarterly.
24. Tams, S., Hill, K., Ortiz de Guinea, A., Thatcher, J., and Grover, V. (2014). NeuroIS–Alternative or Complement to Existing Methods? Illustrating the Holistic Effects of Neuroscience and Self-reported Data in the Context of Technostress Research. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Volume 15, Issue 10, Article 1, 723-753.
23. Galluch, P., Grover, V., and Thatcher, J.B. (Forthcoming). “Interruptions and Information Technology Use: An Experimental Examination.” Journal of the AIS.
22. Roth, P., Bobko, J., Van Iddekinge, C., and Thatcher, J.B. (Forthcoming). “Social Media, Employee Selection, and Related Decisions: Don’t Know Much Empirically, Don’t Know Much Theoretically...but We do Know....We Need a Research Agenda.” Journal of Management.
21. Wright, R.T., Jensen, M., Thatcher, J.B., Dinger M., and Marett, K. (2014). “Principles of Persuasion and Phishing: A Field Experiment.” Information Systems Research. 25(2): 385-400.
20. Lankton, N., McKnight, M., and Thatcher. J.B. (2014). “Incorporating Trust-in-Technology into Expectation Disconfirmation Theory.” Journal of Strategic Information Systems. 23(2): 128-145.
19. Carter, M., Wright, R.T., Thatcher, J.B., and Klein, R. (2014). “Understanding Online Customers’ Ties to Merchants: The Moderating Influence of Trust on the Relationship Between Switching Costs and E-Loyalty.” European Journal of Information Systems. 23(1): 185-204.
18. Gerow, J., Ayyargi, R., Thatcher, J.B., and Roth, P. (2013). “Can we have fun @ work? The role of intrinsic motivation for utilitarian systems.” European Journal of Information Systems. 22: 360-380.
17. Lankton, L., McKnight, D.M., and Thatcher, J.B. (2012). “The Moderating Effects of Privacy Restrictiveness and Experience on Trusting Beliefs and Habit: An Empirical Test of Intention to Continue Using a Social Networking Website.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 59(4): 654-665.
16. Dinger, M., Thatcher, J.B., Stepina, L., and Craig, C. (2012). “The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side: A Test of Present and Alternative Job Utility on IT Professionals' Turnover.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 59(3): 364-378.
15. Chin, W., Thatcher, J.B., Wright, R. (2012). “Assessing Common Method Bias: Evaluating the ULMC Technique.” MIS Quarterly. 36(3): 1003-1019.
*Author order alphabetical - all authors contributed equally.
14. Ply, J., Moore, J., Williams, C., and Thatcher, J.B., (2012). “IS Employee Attitudes and Perceptions at Varying Levels of Software Process Maturity.” MIS Quarterly. 36(2): 601-624.
13. Polites, G.L., Roberts, N., and Thatcher, J.B. (2012). “Conceptualizing Models Using Multidimensional Constructs: A Review and Guidelines for their Use.” European Journal of Information Systems. 21(1): 22-48.
12. McKnight, D.H., Carter, M., Thatcher, J.B., and Clay, P. (2011). “Trust in a Specific Technology: An Investigation of Its Components and Measures.” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems. 2(2): 1-15.
11. Carter, M., Grover, V., and Thatcher, J.B. (2011). "The Emerging Role of CIO Technology Strategist." MIS Quarterly Executive. 10(1): 19-29.
10. Thatcher, J., McKnight, H., Arsal, R., Baker, E., and Roberts, N. (2011). “The Role of Trust in Post-Adoption IT Exploration: An Empirical Examination of Knowledge Management Systems.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 58(1): 56-70.
9. Zagenczyk, T.J., Scott, K.D., Gibney, R., Murrell, A.J., & Thatcher, J.B. (2010). “Social Influence and Perceived Organizational Support: A Social Networks Analysis.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 111(2): 127-138.
8. Pak, R., Price, M., and Thatcher, J.B. (2009). “Age-Sensitive Design of Online Health Information: Comparative Usability Study.” Journal of Medical Internet Research. 11(4):e45.
7. Thatcher, J.B., Zimmer, J.C., Gundlach, M.J. and McKnight, D.H. (2008). “Individual and Human-Assisted Computer Self-Efficacy: An Empirical Investigation.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 55(4): 628-644.
6. Treadway, D.C., Ferris, G.R., Duke, A.B., Adams, G.L., and Thatcher, J.B. (2007). “The Moderating Role of Subordinate Political Skill on Supervisor’s Impressions of Subordinate Ingratiation and Ratings of Subordinate Interpersonal Facilitation.” Journal of Applied Psychology. 92(3): 848-855.
5. Chan, Y.E., Sabherwal, R., and Thatcher, J.B. (2006). “Antecedents to Strategic Alignment: An Empirical Investigation.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 53(1): 1-22.
4. Thatcher, J.B., Brower, R.S., and Mason, R. (2006). “Organizational Fields and the Diffusion of Information Technologies Within and Across the Nonprofit and Public Sectors: A Preliminary Theory.” American Review of Public Administration. 36 (4): 437-454.
3. Ahuja, M.K. and Thatcher, J.B. (2005). “Moving Beyond Intentions and Toward the Theory of Trying: Effects of Work Environment and Gender on Post-Adoption Information Technology Use.” MIS Quarterly. 29(3): 429-461.
2. Thatcher, J.B., Stepina, L.P., and Boyle, R. (Winter/Spring 2003). “Examining the Influence of Attitudes, Job Characteristics, and External Markets: An Empirical Study of Information Technology Worker Turnover.” Journal of Management Information Systems. 19(3): 231-261
1. Thatcher, J.B. and Perrewe, P. (2002). “An Empirical Examination of Traits as Antecedents to Computer Self-Efficacy and Computer Anxiety.” MIS Quarterly. 26(4): 381-396.
LinksVP of Membership - Association for Information Systems
Associate Editor - European Journal of Information Systems
Senior Editor - MIS Quarterly
The PhD Project