New directors named

By Peter Hull

Dr. Gene W. EidsonNationally recognized environmental educator and restoration ecologist Gene W. Eidson has been named director of the Baruch Institute for Coastal Ecology and Forest Science in Georgetown. He succeeds George Askew who became associate dean/associate director for Agriculture and Natural Resources after serving as Baruch director for 23 years.

Eidson joined Clemson in January 2007 and also serves as director of the Center for Watershed Excellence in Clemson’s Restoration Institute. He will combine these responsibilities with his new role to further Clemson’s water resources and ecological restoration initiatives, emphasizing the University’s role in coastal issues.

For information: Gene Eidson, geidson@clemson.edu, 843-546-1013; www.clemson.edu/baruch/

Dr. John D. MuellerJohn D. Mueller has been appointed director of the Edisto Research and Education Center in Blackville after serving as interim director of the center for the past year. He succeeds Steve Meadows, who became Extension field operations director.

Mueller joined Clemson in Blackville in 1983 as assistant professor of plant pathology. His primary research areas are cotton and soybean nematology. The Edisto center focuses on production agriculture, including beef cattle, cotton, soybeans, small grains, vegetables, melons and precision agriculture to reduce chemical and water usage.

For information: John D. Mueller, jmllr@clemson.edu, 803-284-3343; www.clemson.edu/edisto/