Finding Poultry Breeds
Here are 3 ways to find specific poultry breeds in South Carolina and other states.
Remember, if poultry enter SC from another state -- it is required by law that they are from Pullorum-Typhoid Clean flocks (under the National Poultry Improvement Plan - NPIP) or the birds have been tested negative for Pullorum within 30 days prior to entry into SC.
- NPIP National Directory - This site will give you the NPIP participants (Pullorum Clean breeders) by state:
Scroll down the page and look at: "Participants by State in the National Poultry Improvement Plan"
Have to search for the bird breeds by state.
This directory contains both Commercial Egg & Meat Breeders and the Waterfowl, Upland Game Birds, Exhibition Poultry - so you have to scroll through the PDF pages to get the correct selection.
Here is the link to the NPIP Bird codes (Product Codes) to figure out the breeds of birds:
- Look in the “big” exhibition hatcheries for common and rarer type birds. These are also NPIP participants:
- Cackle Hatchery: 417-532-4581 or http://www.cacklehatchery.com/
- Ideal Poultry: 254-697-6677 or http://www.ideal-poultry.com/
- Mt. Healthy Hatchery: 800-451-5603 or http://www.mthealthy.com
- Murray McMurray Hatchery: 800-456-3280 or http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
- Stromberg’s Hatchery: 218-587-2222 or http://www.strombergschickens.com/
- Look in the SC Department of Agriculture Market Bulletin. Archived issues are free to view.
You can always find poultry for sale -- BUT be aware that not all of these birds are tested for Pullorum-Typhoid.
Note: Links are provided as information. They do not constitute an endorsement of any non-affiliated organizations, businesses, products, services, or content of these pages by Clemson University Livestock-Poultry Health or Clemson University.