Dr. Joe Mari J. Maja
Research Sensor Engineer
Sensor Development, Automation, and Control
PhD Tohoku University, Graduate School of Information Science, 2003
MSc Tohoku University, Graduate School of Information Science, 2000
MEng University of San Carlos, College of Engineering, 1997
BS University of San Carlos, College of Engineering, 1991
Other Related experience
2003 ~ 2007 Chairman, Department of Computer Engineering, University of San Carlos, Philippines
2006 ~ 2007 Visiting Assistant Professor, University de Bretagne-Sud, France
2007 ~ 2013 Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida
2013 ~ 2014 Research Engineer, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Evaluation of Deposition and Coverage by an Air-Assisted Sprayer and Two Air-Blast Sprayers in a Citrus Orchard. L.R. Khot, J.M. Maja, J.M. Campoy, C. Wellington, A. Al-Jumaili. Transactions of the ASABE 57(4):1007-1013, 2014.
- Determining Machine Efficiency Parameters for a Citrus Canopy Shaker Using Yield Monitor Data. R. Shamshiri, R. Ehsani, J. M. Maja, F. M. Roka. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. Vol. 29(1): 33-41, 2013.
- Huanglongbing (Citrus Greening) Detection Using Visible, Near Infrared and Thermal Imaging Techniques. Sankaran S, Maja JM, Buchanon S, Ehsani R. Sensors. 2013; 13(2):2117-2130.
- Comparison of two aerial imaging platforms for identification of Huanglongbing-infected citrus trees. F. Garcia Ruiz, S. Sankaran, J.M. Maja, W.S. Lee, J. Rasmussen, R. Ehsani. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 91(2013) 106-115. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2012.12.002
- Applications of nanomaterials in agricultural production and crop protection: A review. Lav R. Khot, Sindhuja Sankaran, Joe Mari Maja, Reza Ehsani, Edmund W. Schuster. Crop Protection, Volume 35, May 2012, Pages 64-70
- Visible-near infrared spectroscopy for detection of Huanglongbing in citrus orchards, Sindhuja Sankaran, Ashish Mishra, Joe Mari Maja and Reza Ehsani, Elsevier Journal of Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. doi:10.1016/j.compag.2011.03.
- Development of a Yield Monitoring System for Citrus Mechanical Harvesting Machine, Maja, JM. and Ehsani, R. Journal of Precision Agriculture. DOI 10.1007/s11119-009-9141-1. 2010.
- Two approaches to realize real-time yield monitoring of citrus fruits, Grift, T., Ehsani, R., Maja, JM, and Zhong, D., Elsevier Journal of Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 65. 186-191. 2009.
- Study on the Development of Multi-Robot Systems for Farm Operations (Part I), Maja, JM, Bulanon, D., Patiluna, V., Journal of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machineries, No. 46, March 2006
- Affordable Multi-Rotor Remote Sensing Platform for Application in Precision Horticulture. R. Ehsani, S. Sankaran, J. M. Maja, J.C. Neto. 11 International Conference on Precision Agriculture, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, July 15-18, 2012.
- Young Leaf Detection for Spot Spray Treatment of Citrus Canopies to control Psyllids. P.A. Larbi, R. Ehsani, M. Salyani, J.M. Maja, A.R. Mishra. 11 International Conference on Precision Agriculture, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, July 15-18, 2012.
- A New Low-Cost Aerial Imagery Platform and Its Applications for Precision Horticulture. R. Ehsani and J.M. Maja. 2011 ASHS Annual Conference, Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA, September 2011.
- Citrus canopy volume and yield estimation using photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) based mobile sensor system. Lav R. Khot, Reza Ehsani, Amanda Valentine, Joe Mari J. Maja. ASABE Annual International Meeting 2011, Kentucky, August 2011.
- Tree counting and caliper measurement for open field nursery using image processing. Maja, JM, R. Ehsani, D. Sarasawat, J. Robbins. ASABE Annual International Meeting, Pittsburgh, June 2010.
- Yield Monitoring System for Citrus Mechanical Harvester. Ujwala S Jadhav, Joe Mari Maja, Reza Ehsani. ASABE Annual International Meeting, Pittsburgh, June 2010.
- Development of a spot sprayer for spraying young flush on citrus tree. Maja, JM, Salyani, M, Ehsani, R., Pilkey, J., and Colaco, A. ASABE Annual International Meeting, Reno, Nevada, June 2009
- Spot spraying of citrus tree canopies for controlling psyllids. Maja, JM, Salyani, M, and Ehsani, R. Proc. Fla State Hort. Society 2009, June 2009.
- A Yield Monitoring System for Citrus Mechanical Harvesting Machines, Maja, JM. and Ehsani, R. ASABE Annual International Meeting, Providence, Rhode Island, June 29-July 2, 2008
- Development of a new load cell yield monitor for citrus, Maja, JM and Ehsani, R., ISHS 2008 Precision Ag Symposium, Orlando, FL, USA. January 6-9, 2008
- Development of a Two Wheeled System for Farm Operations, Canete, LGS, Patiluna, V., Maja, JM, BioRobotics III International Conference, September 9-10, 2006
- Development of an Obstacle Detection System Using Off the- shelf and Low cost Ultrasonic Proximity Sensors for Off-road Vehicles, Patiluna, V., Canete, LGS., Maja, JM, BioRobotics III International Conference, September 9-10, 2006, Hokkaido, Japan.
- ODV for Indoor Environment: Tool for Minimizing the Non-Holonomic Constraint Problem for Outdoor Vehicle, Maja, JM and Patiluna, V., Automation Technology for Off-road Equipment 2004, Oct. 7-8, 2004, pp. 149-154,Kyoto, Japan
- PicEm: Tools for building computational devices, Patiluna, V., Bersonda, BL., Palima, J., Maja, JM, International Conference on Engineering Education, July 2004, Philippines
- Obstacle-free Path Localization with Wavelet Transform, Maja J.M., Takayuki T., Shoji M., Nakano E., Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE) 195th Research Meeting, Hachi no He Technical University, June 22, 2001
- Motion Control of a Three-wheeled omni-directional Mobile Robot, Maja, JM, Atillo, C., Gicum, M., Navarete, J., 8th World Multi-Conference on Systemic, Cybernetics and Informatics (SCI), July, 2004, USA
- Vision-based Map Building for Indoor Environment (Part I), Maja, J.M., Shoji, M., Nakano, E., The 6th World Multi-Conference on Systemic, Cybernetics, and Informatics (SCI), July 14-18, 2002, Orlando, Florida, USA
- Real-time Obstacle Avoidance Algorithm for Visual Navigation, Maja, JM, Takahashi, T., Wang, Z.D., Nakano, E., Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 2000, pp. 925-930, Oct. 31 - Nov. 5, 2000, Takamatsu, JAPAN
- Count on this. Object-based software provides an automated inventory process for growers. Nursery Management. Jan. 2014.
- The Rise of small UAVs in Precision Agriculture. ASABE Resource Magazine, July/August 2013.
- Advanced tree stress detection technologies for citrus. Citrus Industry, May 2012.
- Mini-helicopter can help citrus growers detect disease. Baynews 9 News Channel, September 21,2011. Last Accessed: Feb. 26, 2013.
- “Crop copter” helps collect agriculture data and spot problems. The Orlando Sentinel, July 24, 2011. Last Accessed: Feb. 26, 2013.
- ‘Crop copter’ lets farmers monitor fields from afar. The Orlando Sentinel. Last Accessed: July 23, 2012.
- University of Florida researchers build crop chopper to help growers increase efficiency. ABC Action News – Local Program, Lake Alfred, FL. June 24, 2011. Last Accessed: Feb. 26, 2013.
- Nursery industry banks on ‘eyes in sky’.
- Picture this. Nursery, Management and Production Magazine. Last Accessed: Feb. 26, 2013.
Portable Multi-band sensor for fruit maturity detection
- Malaysia (PI2012002702)
- Brazil (BR1020130147931)
- Indonesia (POO201300440)
- Thailand (1301002972)
Edisto Research & Education Center
64 Research Rd.
Blackville, SC 29817
Phone: (803) 284-3343 ext. 236 Fax: (803) 284-3684