Pee Dee Research & Education Facilities
The Pee Dee Research & Education Center was established in 1911 near the City of Florence. It was reestablished in 1985 at its current location on 2,300 acres. There are 800 acres for research plots, 1,000 acres of forest, and the remaining 500 acres consist of buildings, roads, ponds, and swamps.
The John B. Pitner Center is the heart of the Pee Dee REC campus. It is a large building that contains 50 offices, 30 laboratories, a library, a 350 seat theater style auditorium, two 50 seat classrooms, a 60 seat seminar room, and a 30 seat conference room. Normally several thousand visitors hold seminars, meetings, tours, field days, and other events at the Center each year.
In addition to the main office, there are several other facilities scattered across Pee Dee REC grounds. There is a turf laboratory/maintenance building located near the turf research area. The entire turf field laboratory and plots constitute about 12 acres with various irrigation possibilities. For more information, please visit the Turfgrass homepage. Pee Dee REC faculty also utilize barns, greenhouses, and silos for storage and research purposes.
A new addition to the facilities at Pee Dee REC is the Outdoor Education Trail. It is an outdoor learning space designed to teach in a non-traditional setting to get our schoolchildren outside and learning about the environment, agriculture, wildlife and other things that sometimes get overlooked in the classroom. For more information, visit the Outdoor Education Trail homepage.