Soluble salts are run on samples as requested in mineral soils and on artificial mixes. Samples should be logged in the log book.
- Scoop 20 mL soil to a 250 Erlenmeyer flask.
- Add 40 mL of distilled water with graduated cylinder, stir, and allow to equilibrate for 1 hour, shaking intermittently.
- Decant liquid (through screen filter) and collect in small wide mouth bottle.
- Read mmhos/cm on conductivity meter. (See Plant and Feed Manual for meter instructions).
- Record 2 decimal places, e.g., 0.200 = 0.20.
- Report values on Report on lab sheet. Lab number should be either the log book number if only soluble salts are to be reported, or the laboratory number of the mineral soil received by the lab for routine soil analysis.
Method of extraction is 1:2.