Peter B. Marko
- Ph.D. University of California, Population Biology, 1997
- B.S. University of Alberta, 1991
- The research in my lab addresses a variety of fundamental questions about how historic biogeographic and contemporary ecological processes together shape patterns of organismal diversity, particularly in the world’s oceans. I am most interested in molecular genetic approaches that can provide insight into the demographic histories of populations, the biogeographic histories of species, and the historic assembly of entire communities. I am also involved in basic and applied research that can assist with the management and recovery of vulnerable and over-exploited species. Current projects include the study of sister-species isolated by the rise of the Central American Isthmus, the genetics of recruitment in the bay scallop (Argopecten irradians), effects of Pleistocene climate change on rocky-shore community composition in the North Pacific, and forensic genetic analysis of commercially harvested species.
- Marko, P. B., Hoffman, J. M., Emme, S. A., McGovern, T. M., Keever, C., & L. N. Cox. 2010. The expansion-contraction model of Pleistocene demography: rocky shores suffer a sea change? Molecular Ecology 19:146-169.
- Marko, P. B. & A. L. Moran. 2009. Out of sight, out of mind: High cryptic diversity obscures the identities and histories of geminate species in the marine bivalve subgenus Acar. Journal of Biogeography 36: 1861-1880.
- Nance, H.A., Daly-Engle, T.S., & P. B. Marko. 2009. New microsatellite loci for the endangered scalloped hammerhead shark, Sphyrna lewini. Molecular Ecology Resources 9: 955-957.
- Marko, P. B. 2008. Allopatry. Pp. 131-138 in The Encyclopedia of Ecology by S. V. Jørgensen (ed.). Elsevier, Oxford, UK.
- Marko, P. B. & K. B. Barr. 2007. Basin-scale patterns of mtDNA differentiation and gene flow in the Bay Scallop, Argopecten irradians concentricus Say. Marine Ecology Progress Series 349: 139-150.
- Marko, P. B., Rogers-Bennett, L. & A. Dennis. 2007. Population structure and migration of lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) inferred from mitochondrial DNA: limited dispersal of long-lived pelagic larvae? Marine Biology 150:1301-1311.
- Marko, P. B. 2005. An intraspecific comparative analysis of character divergence between sibling species. Evolution 59: 554-564.
- Marko, P. B., S. C. Lee, A. M. Rice, J. M. Gramling, T. M. Fitzhenry, J. S. McAlistar, G. R. Harper, A. L. Moran. 2004. Mislabeling in a depleted reef fish. Nature 430: 309-310.
- BIOSC 335 - Evolutionary Biology
- BIOSC 442 - Biogeography
- BIOSC 490 / L490 - Molecular Ecology
- Nicole Cox, Ph.D.
- Sergio Marchant, Ph.D.
- Holly Nance, Ph.D.
- American Malacological Society
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology