Fulbright-Nehru Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Biological Sciences Department
Office: 121 Jordan Hall
Ph.D Marine Biology and Oceanography
Annamalai University 2014
M.Sc Marine Science
Bharathidasan University 2008
Dr. S. Prakash is Fulbright-Nehru Post-Doctoral Research Fellow studying various topics that include taxonomy, reproductive physiology and molecular phylogeny of coral reef caridean shrimps of Indo-Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean waters under the guidance of Dr. Antonio Baeza.
Dr. Prakash also focuses on understanding the cryptic species complexes in caridean shrimps based on the integrative taxonomy approach.
Currently serving as a ‘Member’ of the Society for Crustacean Biology, USA and The Crustacean Society, USA
Using Caridean shrimps as a model organism to study:
Taxonomy, phylogeny, and biogeography
Sexual and mating systems
Physiological responses and molecular adaptations to climate change
Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences
Journal of Threatened Taxa
1. Serving as 'Treasurer' for the Clemson University Post Doctoral Association (CUPDA)
2. Serving as 'Social Media Manager' for the Fulbright Fellows and Friends organization, Clemson University
3. 'Member Volunteer for 'Association for India's Development'
1. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Subramoniam and A. Baeza. (2017). Sexual system and sexual dimorphism in the shrimp Periclimenes brevicarpalis (Schenkel, 1902) (Caridea: Palaemonidae), symbiotic with the sea anemone Stichodactyla haddoni (Saville-Kent, 1893) in the Gulf of Mannar, India. Journal of Crustacean Biology, 37(3): 332-339.
2. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar, R. Raghavan, A. Rhyne, M. F. Tlusty and T. Subramoniam. 2017. Marine aquarium trade in India: Challenges and opportunity for conservation and policy. Marine Policy, 77: 120-129.
3. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Subramoniam. 2016. New records of marine ornamental shrimps (Decapoda: Stenopodidea and Caridea) from the Gulf of Mannar, Tamil Nadu, India. Check List, 12(6): 1-6.
4. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar, R. Bauer, M. Thiel and T. Subramoniam. 2016. Reproductive morphology and mating behavior in the coral reef shrimp Rhynchocinetes durbanensis Gordon, 1936 (Decapoda: Caridea: Rhynchocinetidae) in India. Journal of Marine Biological Association, UK, 96(6): 1331-1440.
5. J. Balamurugan, T. T. Ajith Kumar, S. Prakash, B. Meenakumari, C. Balasundaram and R. Harikrishnan. 2016. Clove extract: A potential source for stress-free transport of fish. Aquaculture, 454: 171-175.
6. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Subramoniam. 2015. Notes on some Indo-Pacific caridean shrimps (Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae, Gnathophyllidae) particularly from India. Zootaxa.. 3914(4): 456-466.
7. Prakash, S., T. T. Ajith Kumar and S. Ajmal Khan (2013). Checklist of the Porcellanidae (Crustacea, Decapoda, Anomura) of India. Checklist. 9(6): 1514-1518.
8. Prakash, S. and T. T. Ajith Kumar. (2013). Feeding behavior of Harlequin shrimp Hymenocera picta Dana, 1852 (Hymenoceridae) on sea star Linckia laevigata (Ophidiasteridae). Journal of Threatened Taxa, 5 (13): 4819-4821.
9. Prakash, S., M. Gopi, T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Balasubramanian. (2013). First record of four species of Petrolisthes (Decapoda, Anomura, Porcellanidae) from Lakshadweep, India. Marine Biodiversity Records, Vol. 6, e47: 1-5.
10. Prakash, S., J. Balamurugan, T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Balasubramanian. (2012). Invasion and abundance of reef inhabiting fishes in the Vellar estuary, southeast coast of India, especially the lionfish Pterois volitans Linnaeus. Current Science (India), 103 (8): 941-944
11. Prakash, S., Idrees Babu, M. Gopi, T. T. Ajith Kumar, T. Balasubramanian (2011). Discovery of the shrimp Pycnocaris chagoae Bruce 1972 (Decapoda: Caridea: Gnathophyllidae) in the Lakshadweep Archipelago, India. Zootaxa. 2998: 66-68.
12. Dattesh V. Desai and S. Prakash (2009). Physiological responses to environmental hypoxia and anoxia in Balanus amphitrite (Cirripedia: Thoracica). Marine Ecology Progress Series, 390: 157-166.