Ph.D. Hydrologic Science – University of California, Davis – 2000 M.S. Hydrologic Science – University of California, Davis – 1998 B.S. Chemistry with minor in Chemical Engineering – University of California, Berkeley – 1994
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Forestry & Natural Resources, and Department of Biosystems Engineering, 2009 - Present
• Halocarbon Biogeochemistry - Evaluating the influences of sea level rise on halocarbon formation, greenhouse gas emissions, and other biogeochemical processes in coastal wetlands and blackwater rivers • Ecosystem Health - Studying the impacts of climate change and management practices on the characteristics of dissolved organic matter and accumulations of pollutants in ecosystems • Engineering Application of Humic Substance - Examining photocatalytic and redox properties of natural organic matter and their potential applications in advanced oxidation process and microbial fuel cell
• Chow, A.T., Lee, S.T., O’Geen, A.T., Orozco, T., Beaudette, D., Wong, P.K., Hernes, P.J., Tate, K.W., and Dahlgren, R.A. 2009. Litter contributions to dissolved organic matter and disinfection byproduct precursors in California oak woodland watersheds. Journal of Environmental Quality 38(6): 2334-2343.
• Diaz, F., Chow, A.T., O’Geen, A.T., Dahlgren, R.A. and Wong, P.K. 2008. Restored wetlands as a source of disinfection byproduct precursors. Environmental Science & Technology 42(16): 5992-5997.
• Chow, A.T., Leech, D., Boyer, T., and Singer, P. 2008. Impact of simulated natural solar irradiation on disinfection byproduct precursors. Environmental Science & Technology 42(15): 5586-5593.
• Chow, A.T., Dahlgren, R.A., and Harrison, J.H. 2007. Watershed sources of disinfection byproduct precursors in the Sacrament and San Joaquin rivers, California. Environmental Science & Technology 41(22): 7645-7652.
• Chow, A.T., Tanji, K.K., Gao, S., and Dahlgren, R.A. 2006. Temperature, water content, and wet-dry cycle effects on DOC production and C mineralization in agricultural peat soils. Journal of Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38(3): 477 - 488.
Professional society activity:
Editorial Advisory Board – The Open Environmental Engineering Journal
Members - American Geophysical Union, American Chemical Society
Honors and awards:
• Honorary Research Fellow – Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2008 – Present)
• Best Research Paper – Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, Environmental Water Resources Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (2005)
• Professors of the Future – Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award, NIH-funded postdoctoral career development program (2003)
Biogeochemistry and Environmental Analytical Chemistry