Civil engineering has been taught at Clemson since the University was founded in 1889 graduating the first civil engineer in 1896. Civil engineering became a department in 1932 at the same time the Engineering Department became the School of Engineering. Lowry Hall is the home of the Glenn Department of Civil Engineering and was the first modern academic building on campus. It has been placed on the National Historic Registry.
The Department offers a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate programs leading to the BSCE, MS, or PhD degrees. Faculty specializations include areas such as applied fluid mechanics, Construction Engineering and Management, Construction Materials, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation systems. Undergraduate students can choose technical electives to complete an "emphasis" in a particular subdiscipline, such as environmental engineering or structural engineering.
The Department of Civil Engineering offers graduate degree programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Current enrollments are about 500 undergraduate and 110 graduate students. Student organizations include the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), the Chi Epsilon Honor Society, and Clemson Engineers for Developing Countries (CEDC).
Our Program Educational Objectives and Program Outcomes are evaluated on a regular basis to meet the needs of our students and employers.
The Civil Engineering faculty is committed to the Strategic Goals of the department. These are:
Clemson University is a public institution dedicated to the development and dissemination of knowledge in diversified academic and professional fields. The University is committed to assisting students in their search for knowledge, to helping them understand themselves and their cultural and their physical environments, and to develop in them the wisdom and skills needed to assume responsibility in a democratic society. The University assumes as its historic trust the maintenance and enhancement of an intellectual environment that encourages the development and expansion of the human mind and spirit. While continuing to fulfill its mission as a land-grant institution, Clemson University is evolving and expanding its role to meet the changing needs of state, national, and international communities. Many interesting facts about Clemson University can be found in the Clemson Fact Book.
The City of Clemson is nestled in the scenic foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the northwest corner of South Carolina. Clemson is a small town community located near Greenville, South Carolina. It is only a two hour drive from Atlanta and Charlotte, and about four hours from the Atlantic Ocean. The main campus of the University is located along the shores of Lake Hartwell. Because of the location and pleasant climate, numerous outdoor recreational activities such as camping, boating, white-water rafting, and hiking are available. Click here for an aerial view of the campus.
Fifteen academic departments form the College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences at Clemson University. Because of the close relationship between engineering and science at Clemson, the application of scientific discovery is more readily applied to the betterment of our built environment. Many engineering and science faculty work closely together in research and education, and share common computing and research facilities. The alliance offers a broad diversity of course work supporting specialized graduate study in civil engineering.