In Clemson's Bachelor of Fine Arts program, you'll be immersed in a rigorous course of study that includes studio techniques, conceptual directions and art history. With the instruction, tools, time and opportunity needed to develop your unique artistic voice, you'll spend hours in the studio among a vibrant community of artists and scholars, with full access to the department's clay, drawing, painting and printmaking studios, plus computer, photo and sculpture labs. Art historians, with a deep knowledge of modern and contemporary art, offer a rich understanding of past and current developments, will help provide context for your studies. You can choose an emphasis in ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture or new media. So, whether you plan a career in making, teaching or managing art, you'll leave Clemson having had numerous opportunities to explore your abilities and develop your creativity.
- An ongoing visiting artist series brings artists and scholars from across the nation to Clemson.
- The Lee Gallery organizes exhibits in diverse media that expose students to compelling contemporary artwork and gallery talks.
- Every other year, you'll have a chance to immerse yourself in another art culture during a four-week summer school in Orvieto, Italy.
- Our Fine Arts Student Association organizes field trips and at least one annual trip to a major urban art center such as New York City.
- Clemson art students regularly exhibit their work in numerous independent galleries in the vibrant Greenville and Pendleton arts districts, as well as other regional and national venues.
- Seniors exhibit their art in the MFA Gallery in Lee Hall.
- The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits our bachelor's and master's degrees.
- On the application, we are listed as Visual Arts.
WHAT YOU'LL STUDY
You'll be encouraged to investigate materials, processes and contexts that best suit your mode of expression. Rigorous studio activity and strong conceptual development are vital for success in this program. You'll produce a cohesive body of artwork and a portfolio for graduate study or professional applications.
Ceramics Emphasis: Deepen your understanding of the diverse range of materials, concepts and processes related to clay, and develop a dynamic, individual practice in a supportive studio environment.
Drawing Emphasis: Develop skills of observation, perception and interpretation through the immediate and immersive act of drawing and through experimenting with various drawing mediums and processes and concepts.
Painting Emphasis: Cultivate your talent formally and conceptually to become a versatile, vital contributor to the contemporary art-making dialogue.
Photography Emphasis: Master the tools, techniques and methods, including traditional black and white film and contemporary digital formats.
Printmaking Emphasis: Explore the myriad possibilities offered - traditional and nontraditional materials, formats and production techniques - as ways to challenge the conventions of image and presentation to facilitate a transformative artistic experience.
Sculpture Emphasis: Immerse yourself in the ever-expanding field of this discipline as you create work in a host of contexts, including traditional gallery, site-specific, temporal/relational and installation modes.
New Media Emphasis: New media explores art practices and ideas. Digital tools and processes are explored relative to drawing, painting, printing, bookmaking, photography, video, installation and motion graphic techniques.
Your college decision isn't really about the next four years. We get it. It's about what doors are opened by your degree and whether those opportunities are what you had envisioned for yourself. Here's a snapshot of what life after graduation looks like for some of our most recent students.
WHERE OUR RECENT GRADUATES HAVE GONE
Lead Academic Public Charter School
Teach for America
Assistant Curator and Board Secretary
Museum of the Cherokee
Greenville County Schools
Interior Design Consultant
Technical Publications Associate
MIT Applied Research Lab
Hawaii Filmmakers Collective
Graphic Designer and Fine Artist
Kaleidoscope Design Factory
Muddy Bus Ceramics
RECENT POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
M.A. Art Business
Sotheby’s Institute of Art
Columbus College of Art & Design
University of Georgia
Master of Prosthetics and Orthotics
MA Modern & Contemporary Art and the Market
COMMON CAREER AREAS
- Art Museums and Galleries
- Education and Administration
- Curatorial and Conservation
- Registrar and Collections
- Management and Sales
- Public Relations
- Exhibit Design and Preparation
- Fine Art
- Commercial Art
- University and College
- Studio and Fine Art
- Art History
- Theory and Criticism
- Art Therapy
- Art Journalism
- Art Criticism
- Animation and Cartoons
- Fashion, Textile, Interior Design
- Art Sales
FIND OUT MORE
Have more questions or want more information? Fill out the form below, which goes directly to the following department contact. If you’d also like to receive general University information from Clemson’s admissions office, please follow the link to the right and sign up to join our mailing list.