Packaging Science (B.S.)
What do air, cars, laptops, plants, knee-replacements and lunch have in common? They all can be and are packaged! Students majoring in packaging science learn all about the design, engineering, science, innovation, research and business that make up this diverse industry. For more than 20 years, Clemson has been thinking outside of the box and producing career-ready graduates who are ready to solve the problems of tomorrow. Clemson is one of just a few schools in the U.S. that offers a degree in packaging science. Our program is unique as it blends together biology, chemistry and physics. Because of this, our graduates fill a special niche within industry. Since this is a very hands-on major, you'll get to work with package design and graphics, food and health care packaging and advanced materials.
- Clemson offers one of just a few packaging science undergraduate degree programs in the U.S.
- All packaging science students are required to complete a Cooperative Education assignment in local industry.
- Our student Packaging Science Club attends the national PACK EXPO every year.
- Eligible students can begin graduate course work in their senior year to begin earning their master's.
WHAT YOU'LL STUDY
Packaging science majors first complete basic course work in science and math before delving into the intricacies of packaging design, materials, polymers and distribution. A strong science and math background is essential for success. Clemson offers four emphasis areas including:
- Distribution, transportation and engineering technology
- Food and health care packaging
- Package design and graphics
Our faculty are in touch with the ever-changing needs of industry. Industry partnerships have helped stock the laboratories with equipment for you to use. You will have access to each of the labs as an enhancement to your classroom learning.
- The DuPont Miracles of Science Laboratory
- The Cryovac Flavour Mark Retort Laboratory
- The Sonoco Transport Package Testing Laboratory
- Organoleptic Sensory Lab
- The Sonoco Institute of Packaging Design and Graphics
- Culinary Research Lab
Combined Bachelor's/Master's Program
Get a jump-start on your graduate degree in packaging science with Clemson's accelerated five-year combined bachelor's/master's program.
- Business Administration
- Environmental Science and Policy
- Food Science
EXPERIENCES BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
Majoring in packaging science at Clemson gives you the opportunity to get involved with the industry. Students are required to put themselves outside the classroom and inside factories, labs and other facilities. You will leave Clemson knowledgeable of the issues of the packaging science world and confident in your ability to find a career in this field of study.
Your college decision isn't really about the next four years. We get it. It's about what doors are opened by your degree and whether those opportunities are what you had envisioned for yourself. Here's a snapshot of what life after graduation looks like for some of our most recent students.
WHERE OUR RECENT GRADUATES HAVE GONE
Associate Packaging Engineer
Johnson & Johnson
R&D Packaging Engineer
The Coca-Cola Co.
Research & Development Associate
Packaging Engineer I
Mercedes Benz US
RECENT POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
M.S. Packaging Science
COMMON CAREER AREAS
- Private Research Projects
- Package DevelopmentÂ
- Packaging Machinery
- Food Processing Lab
- Contract Package Testing
- Distribution Testing
- Shelf Life Evaluation
- Material Testing
- Material Identification, Characterization and Comparison
- Graphic Design
- Design and Development
FIND OUT MORE
Have more questions or want more information? Fill out the form below, which goes directly to the following department contact. If you’d also like to receive general University information from Clemson’s admissions office, please follow the link to the right and sign up to join our mailing list.
Student Recruitment Coordinator