Professor of Public Health Sciences
Dept of Public Health Sciences
Tel. (864) 656-7434
Download Dr. Spitler's CV (.pdf)
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship - National Research Service Award Institutional Training Grant, National Institute of Mental Health
- Ph.D. - Sociology, Emory University
- M.P.H. - Public Health, Emory University
- M.A. - Sociology, University of South Florida
- B.A. - Psychology and Sociology, University of South Florida
- Social and Behavioral Epidemiology
- Adolescent Health
- College Student Alcohol Abuse
- Cancer Epidemiology
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Evaluation and Outcomes Assessment in Public Health Practice
FUNDED RESEARCH GRANTS:
- Co- Investigator. With Dr. Martie Thompson, Principal Investigator. 2006. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Grant, “Alcohol-Involved Sexual Victimization in College Women.” Two year R15 Area Grant to study the differences between alcohol-involved sexual victimization and sexual victimization not involving alcohol use. $220,500.
- Principal Investigator. 2008. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Grant, Reducing High-Risk Drinking Among First-Year College Students.” Three year cooperative agreement grant as part of the Rapid Response to College Student Drinking program announcement. August 6, 2005, total award for three year project $572.227.
- Research Consultant. 2002. Wake Forest University research project entitled "Study of the Prevention of Alcohol Related Problems Among College Students (SPARPACS),” a five-year, $3.2 million dollar research project funded by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism./li>
- Principal Investigator. 2002. South Carolina Alliance 20/20 Grant. “Establishing Collaboration to Narrow the Science-to-Service Gap in Substance Abuse Control and Treatment by Developing Partnerships Between Academic Researchers and Substance Abuse Professionals.” Grant awarded in support of a larger funding proposal submitted to the Agency for Healthcare Research on Quality, $4,988.00.
- Principal Investigator. 2001. U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/South Carolina Central Cancer Registry Service Research Contract. “Developing Cancer Surveillance and Research Capacity in South Carolina.”, $37,301
Manuscripts Accepted for Publication/In Press:
- Truong, Khoa, Mayorga, Maria, Spitler, Hugh D., Reifsnider, Odette. “Aggregate Burden of Maternal Binge Drinking on Preterm Birth and Low Birth Weight in the United States.” Accepted with revisions for publication in Maternal and Child Health, May, 2012.
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Light LS, McCoy TP, Thompson MP, Sutfin E, Spitler HD, and Rhode S. "Modeling the Rutgers Alcohol Problem Index (RAPI): A Comparison of Statistical Methods” Addiction Research and Theory, 19:510-518. 2012.
- Griffin SF, Williams JE, Hickman P, Kirchner A, Spitler HD. "A university, community coalition and town partnership to promote walking.” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, January, 2011.
- Sherrill WW, Spitler HD., Havice W. “Moving Beyond the Traditional Case Study in Health Services Administration Education: Creating a Distributed Learning Environment.” Journal of Health Administration Education, 25(3). 2009.
- Thompson, M, Spitler, H., Brown, M, McCoy, T, Sutfin, E, and Rhodes, S. “The Moderating Role of Gender in the Prospective Associations Between Expectancies and High-Risk Drinking Among College Students.” Substance Abuse and Misuse, 44:934-942. 2009
- Sutfin, E, Sims, K, Thompson, M, Rhodes, S, and Spitler, H. “Protective Behaviors, and High-Risk Drinking Among Entering College Freshmes.” American Journal of Health BehaviorSept.- Oct., 33(5):610-619. 2009.
- HLTH 202 - Introduction to Public Health
- HLTH 203 - Overview of Healthcare Systems
- HLTH 303 - Public Health Communication
- HLTH 315 - Social Epidemiology
- HLTH 320 - Men's Health
- HLTH 380 - Epidemiology
- HLTH 395 Honors - Honors Research Seminar
- HLTH 400 - Social and Economic Foundations of Health Care Delivery
- HLTH 478 - Health Policy, Ethics and Law
- HLTH 490 - Research Methods
- HLTH 495 Honors - Honors Thesis Seminar
- HLTH 496 Honors - Honors Research Colloquium
- HLTH 497 - Creative Inquiry
- HLTH 620 - Health Care Architecture Summer Internship
- Chairperson, Clemson University's Institutional Review Board, Office of Research Compliance
- Member, Clemson University's Research Advisory Committee
- Member, Clemson University's Council on Undergraduate Studies
- Faculty Representative, Clemson University Academic Integrity Committee.
- Evaluator of Health Related Courses taken as part of the Study Abroad Program.
- Faculty Representative, Clemson University's College of Health, Education and Human Development Advising Committee for Academic Advising Center
- Director, Clemson University's Department of Public Health Sciences Honors Program
- Member, Clemson University's Department of Public Health Sciences' Promotion, Tenure and Review (TPR) Committee
- Member, Clemson University's Department of Public Health Sciences' Curriculum Committee
- Member, Clemson Community Coalition
- Member, Governor's Council on Substance Abuse Prevention (G-CAP)
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Alcohol and Other Drug Task Force
- Charter Member, Clemson's Chapter of Eta Sigma Gamma
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Senior Faculty Fellow, Automotive Safety Research Institute, International Center for Automotive Research, September, 2010.
- Clemson University, College of Health, Education and Human Development, Award of Excellence in Teaching, May 6, 2010.
- National Alumni Council Funding Award for Creative Inquiry, October 26, 2007
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, March 17, 2006.
- Chi Omega Distinguished Professor Award, 2003.