Download Adobe Reader

Transfer, Dual Education, & Project Lead The Way

The College of Engineering and Science (CES) enrolls over 100 Transfer Students each year. These students come from two and four-year institutions across the state of South Carolina and across the country. If you plan to transfer into CES from your institution, you are highly encouraged to contact the Clemson University Admissions Office at (864) 656-2287. The Transfer Course Equivalency List (TCEL) can aid you in determining which classes will transfer to Clemson.

CES has Dual-Education (formerly known as Dual-degree) programs with several four-year institutions across the Southeast; these colleges and universities include Anderson University, Appalachian State University, Benedict College, Charleston Southern University, Claflin College, Coastal Carolina University, Converse College, Erskine College, Francis Marion University, Furman University, Lander University, Lenior-Rhyne College, Newberry College, North Georgia College, Presbyterian College, Winthrop University, and Wofford College.

Dual-Education Programs allow a student to complete two or three years at one institution, and then transfer to Clemson University to complete work leading to a BS in Engineering.

Students participating in these programs must work closely with their institution and Clemson University to make sure that the transfer is as seamless as possible and that as many classes as possible transfer for credit. It is important to note that, though there is usually about two academic years of work left to do after transfer, the sequence of pre-requisites in engineering majors is such that it will usually take six terms of enrollment (possibly including summers) after transfer to complete an engineering degree unless the student has taken key freshman and sophomore engineering courses (e.g., by attending summer school at Clemson or another engineering college) prior to transfer.

Transfer students who are interested in an Engineering discipline at Clemson are admitted into General Engineering and must complete a common freshman year curriculum before being admitted into an engineering baccalaureate degree program. Students transferring into Clemson who are interested in a Science discipline will go directly into that department.

Important information for engineering transfer students can be found here.

The College of Engineering and Science at Clemson University awards college-level credit for designated combinations of PLTW courses. Only Clemson University undergraduate students enrolled in General Engineering or an Engineering major will receive credit. To be awarded credit, students must have:

  • A minimum SAT score of 1200 or ACT score of 27
  • At least an 85% average grade in the pertinent PLTW courses, and
  • A minimum stanine score of 8, or score at least 80% on the college credit examination for the PLTW courses.

For students meeting these criteria, Clemson will award credit with proper application and documentation. The following table provides equivalency of PLTW courses and Clemson engineering courses.

PLTW Courses Clemson Course
Principles of Engineering or Digital Electronics and Engineering Design and Development ENGR 1200 (3 credits)
Introduction to Engineering Design and Aerospace Engineering or Civil Engineering and Architecture or Computer Integrated Manufacturing EG 2090 (2 credits)

All PLTW documentation should be sent to:
Clemson University
Attn: Dr. Chris Porter
106B Holtzendorff Hall
Clemson, SC  29634