Linda J. Gahan
Research Associate Professor
Phone: 864 656-3621
FAX: 864 656-0435
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, 1968
- B.S. Bucknell University, 1964
- Genetic and molecular biological approach to understanding Bt toxin resistance mechanisms in Lepidoptera especially in Heliothis virescens, the tobacco budworm. This insect is a pest of cotton, tobacco and a number of other important agricultural crops. Bt is a natural pesticide produced by the bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis.
- Gahan, Linda J., Fred Gould, Juan D. Lopez, Jr., Stephen Micinski, and David Heckel. “A PCR Screen of field populations of Heliothis virescens for a retrotransposon insertion conferring resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis toxin” Journal of Economic Entomology, submitted for publication, (2006)
- Gahan, Linda J., Yun-Tao Ma, Mary Lynn MacGregor Coble, Fred Gould, William J. Moar, and David G. Heckel. "Genetic basis of resistance to CryIAc and Cry2Aa in Heliothis virescens (Lepidoptera Noctuidae)", Journal of Economic Entomology, 98, 1357-1368 (2005).
- Baxter, Simon W., Jian-Zhou Zhao, Linda J. Gahan, Anthony M. Shelton, Bruce E. Tabashnik and David G. Heckel. “Novel genetic basis of field-evolved insect resistance to Bt toxins in diamondback moths”. Insect Molecular Biology, 14, 327-334 (2005).
- Endersby, N. M., S.W. McKechnie, H. Vogel, L. J. Gahan, W. Baxter, P. M. Ridland, and A. R. Weeks. “ Microsatellites isolated from diamondback moth, Plutella xylostella (L.), for studies of dispersal in Australian populations”, Molecular Ecology Notes, 5, 51-53 (2005).
- Heckel, David G., Bruce E. Tabashnik, Yong-Biao Liu, Linda J. Gahan, Anthony M. Shelton, Jian-Zhou Zhao, & Simon W. Baxter (2004) Diamondback moth resistance to Bt: Relevance of genetics and molecular biology to detection and management. pp 27-36 in The management of diamondback moth and other crucifer pests: Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 26-29 November 2001. Ridland, P.M. and Endersby, N.M. (eds). Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Victoria, Australia.
- Jurat-Fuentes, Juan L., Linda J. Gahan, Fred L. Gould, David G. Heckel, and Michael J. Adang. “The HevCALP protein mediates binding specificity of the Cry1A class of Bacillus thuringiensis toxins in Heliothis virescens”, Biochemistry 43, 14299-14305 (2004).
- Morin, Shai, Robert W. Biggs, Mark S. Sisterson, Laura Shriver, Christa Ellers-Kirk, Dawn Higginson, Daniel Holley, Linda J. Gahan, David G. Heckel, Yves Carriere, Timothy J. Dennehy, Judith K. Brown and Bruce E. Tabashnik. “Three cadherin alleles associated with resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in pink bollworm”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 100, 5004-5009 (2003).
- Gahan, Linda J., Fred Gould, and David G. Heckel. “Identification of a gene associated with Bt resistance in Heliothis virescens”, Science, 293, 857-860 (2001).
- Heckel, David G., Bruce E. Tabashnik, Yong-Biao Liu, Linda J. Gahan, Anthony M. Shelton, Jian-Zhou Zhao & Simon W. Baxter. “Diamondback moth resistance to Bt: Relevance of genetics and molecular biology to detection and management”. Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Diamondback Moth, Melbourne, Australia 26-29 November 2001
- Heckel, David G., Linda J. Gahan, Yong-Biao Liu and Bruce E. Tabashnik. “Genetic mapping of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis toxins in diamondback moth using biphasic linkage analysis”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 96, 8373-8377 (1999).