Vincent S. Gallicchio
- Diploma (honorary), Physiology and Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Vasile Goldis University, Arad, Romania, 1998
- Certificate, Computer Education, Yale University, 1984
- Post-Doctoral Appointment (National Research Service Award recipient), Section of Developmental Hematopoiesis, Memorial Sloan-Kettering
Cancer Center, New York, New York, 1977-79
- Post-Doctoral Appointment, Department of Physiology, University of Connecticut Health Center, 1976-77
- Ph.D. with distinction, Department of Biology, Experimental Hematology, Graduate School of Arts and Science, New York University. Thesis Dissertation: “The In Vivo Stimulation of Erythroid Differentiation in Rauscher Leukemia Virus (RLV-A) Induced Erythroleukemia,” 1976
- M.S. Vertebrate Physiology, Southern Connecticut State University, 1972
- M.T. Medical Technology, Yale University/Hospital of St. Raphael School of Medical Technology, 1971
- B.A. Biology, Southern Connecticut State University, 1970
- Research interests include experimental drug therapeutics for AIDS and cancer with a focus on compounds that inhibit ribonucleotide reductase and anti-oxidants derived from natural food products; the non-psychiatric clinical uses of lithium, in particular for Alzheimer's disease and viral-induced pathogens; experimantal hematopoiesis, with a particular interest in stem cell biologyand the role of stroma/microenvironment in these processes; international education pertaining to biomedical laboratory science.
- Matsebatela, MT, Gallicchio VS, Rice CD. Didox inhibits reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and inflammatory profiles in LPS-activated RAW 264.7 murine macrophages. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therp. (submitted).
- Matsebatela, MT, Gallicchio VS, Rice CD. Didox inhibits reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and oxidative stress in LPS-activated RAW 264.7 murine macrophages. Toxicological Sciences (submitted).
- Gallicchio VS, Gallicchio LM. Ethics and Quality Assurance in Biomedical Laboratory Science, International Journal of Biomedical Laboratory Science (IFBLS), 2:1-4, 2013
- Gallicchio VS, Overview of Ethics and Quality Assurance in Pathology, MEDLAB Science http://africahealthexhibition.com/speaker-presentations/MEDLAB/Vincent.%20S.%20Gallicchio%20.pdf
- Gallicchio VS, The International Federation of Biomedical Laboratory Science, World Medical Journal, Official Journal of the World Medical Association, Inc., vol. 52, no. 2, 66-68, 2012.
- Matsebatela MT, Gallicchio VS, Becker RW. Lithium modulates cancer cell growth, apoptosis, gene expression and cytokine production in HL-60 promyelocytic leukemia cells and their drug-resistant sub-clones. Biological Trace Element Research vol.149, No. 3, 323-330, 2012.
- Gallicchio VS. Global Curriculum & Global Accreditation. Advance for Administrators of the Laboratory, June 22, 2011 (published on-line) http://laboratory-manager.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/Global-Curriculum-Global-Accreditation.aspx
- Gallicchio VS. Global Accreditation - A Vision for Laboratory Educational Programs Worldwide. Advance for Medical Laboratory Professionals (cover story), May 2011. http://laboratory-manager.advanceweb.com/Editorial/Search/SearchResult.aspx?KW=Gallicchio
- Gallicchio VS. Lithium: Recent trends in clinical medicine. International Trends in Medicine 1:1-7, 2011
- Gallicchio VS. Lithium – Still Interesting After All these Years. Trace Elements and Electrolytes 28:56-69, 2011
- Mohammad S. Inayat, Ismail El-Amouri, Mohammad Bani-Ahamad, Howard L. Elford,Vincent S. Gallicchio, and Oliver R. Oakley. Inhibition of allogeneic inflammatory responses by the ribonucleotide reductase inhibitors didox and trimidox. Journal of Inflammation, 17:43-48, 2010.
- Gallicchio VS. Administration of an innovative program of international cooperation: success across the pond. Journal of Research Administration, Vol. 38, No. 2, Fall 2007 (in press).
- Hope-Kearns E, Roberts P, Gallicchio VS, Chatfield L. Laboratory Sciences Education: Crossing Borders. (In Preparation)
- Gallicchio VS, Birch NJ, Becker RW. Use of an International Education Program of Exchange to Promote and Advance Research Excellence in Biochemistry, Biochemical Education. (In Preparation)
- Mampuru LJ, Wachira SJ, Abotsi EK, Becker RW, Sells SF, Rangnekar VM, Ahmed MM, Hughes NK, Gallicchio VS. RT-PCR Analysis of Apoptosis-Regulatory Genes in LP-BM5 MuLV Infected Murine Bone Marrow- Derived Stromal Cells After Lithium Treatment. (in review)
- Hope-Kearns E, Gallicchio VS, Roberts P. The Laboratory Sciences: International Perspectives. (Submitted to the National Skills Standard Board Monograph edited by Sharon Goldsmith.)
- Mampuru LW, Wachira JW, Hughes NK, Ahmed M, Ragnekar V, Muller AM, Becker RW, Gallicchio VS. Effect of lithium on apoptosis in viral-infected cells of the bone marrow: an electron microscopic examination. (Submitted)
- Mampuru LJ, Moller A, Becker RW, Abotsi EK, Wachira SJ, Sells SF, Rangnekar VM, Ahmed M, Hughes NK, Gallicchio VS. Lithium-Induced Apoptosis of Murine Bone Marrow Stromal Cells is Abrogated by LP-BM5 MuLV Infection. (Submitted)
- Alcock RA, Chendl D, Fruitwala MA, Rao KVS, Lee E, Mohiuddin M, Phoenix D, Chatfield LK, Gallicchio VS, Ahmed MM. Down regulation of pro-apoptotic gene, par-4 in mutant K-ras pancreatic tumors. Cancer Research (Submitted)
- Inayat MS, Bernard AC, Gallicchio VS, Garvy BA, Elford HL, Oakley OR. Oxygen carriers: A selected review. Transfusion and Apheresis Science 34: 25-32, 2006
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society for Clinical Chemistry
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science
- American Society of Clinical Pathology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society for Medical Technology
- Council for International Scholars
- International Association for Comparative Research on Leukemia and Related Diseases
- International Federation of Biomedical Laboratory Science
- International Society for Antiviral Research
- International Society of Differentiation
- International Society for Experimental Hematology
- International Society of Hematology
- International Society of Immunopharmacology
- International Society for Lithium Research
- Kentucky Academy of Science
- National Association for International Education for Colleges and Universities
- New York Academy of Science
- Radiation Research Society
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine