Ticonderoga Arboretum and Botanical Gardens--Horticulturist Supervisor (Deadline: Until Position is Filled; Posted: 6/1/11)(Posted: 6/1/11)
The Ticonderoga Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, located in Chantilly, VA, has a position opening for a Horticulturist Supervisor. The Ticonderoga Arboretum and Botanical Gardens consist of 45 acres of herbaceous and woody plants suitable for the Mid-Atlantic climate and features our unique cactus, xeric, fig and bamboo collections. The gardens are located in a preserve of over 1000 acres in metropolitan Washington, D.C.
1) Will be responsible for overall landscape maintenance of the Ticonderoga Arboretum and Botanical Gardens and supervision of staff;
2) Physically perform general landscape maintenance for specific garden area, including planting, mowing, weeding, spraying, irrigation, pruning, pest control, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards;
3) Supervise garden crew, volunteers, and interns assigned to area;
4) Assist with educational and research projects as required, example: horticultural demonstrations during special events;
5) Establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis;
6) Train and develop gardeners and landscape assistants in garden area to increase their knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance;
7) Assist with plant record keeping and labeling for their garden area;
8) Provide technical assistance when required;
9) Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs;
10) Supervise all garden staff on rotating weekends;
11) Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
1) Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture or equivalent experience; minimum 3 years experience with degree, 5 years without, good verbal and written communication skills;
2) Must have landscape maintenance experience;
3) Must have experience with or knowledge of mid-Atlantic or temperate perennials;
4) Must have supervisory experience;
5) Must be an active member of professional organization pertaining to specific collection(s) in garden area;
6) Must have knowledge of irrigation systems and other water feature equipment;
7) Must have ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills;
8) Must have professional work ethic;
9) Must have ability to work flexible hours as needed; ability to lift up to 50 lbs;
10) Must have Virginia driver’s license in order to operate garden vehicles;
11) Willingness to take classes and obtain certifications as needed (tuition and related costs reimbursed);
12) Must have a Virginia Certified Pesticide Applicators license;
13) Must have an ability to develop staff to work as a team.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be based on education and experience; plus benefits, housing is possible.
Application packet must consist of the following: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) full contact information for three (3) references.
Deadline: Until position is filled.
Send application packet to: Donna Taylor,
Ticonderoga Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, 26175 Ticonderoga Road, Chantilly, VA 20152. Phone: 703-327-4424, Ext. 205; FAX: 703-327-4810; E-mail: email@example.com.