The Garden Club of America (GCA) is seeking applicants for the GCA Summer Scholarship In Field Botany. The $2000 scholarship provides financial aid to students following their undergraduate years or graduate students up to the Masters degree level wishing to pursue summer studies doing work in the field specifically related to field botany. This award addresses the need to promote the study of botany to the horticulture public and increase the awareness of the importance of botany to horticulture. Field work may be done in North America, Central America or South America, but with equally qualified candidates, preference is given to students studying in the United States.
The summer project may be pursued beyond the regular course of study to gain additional knowledge and experience, and may award credit. Selection and administration by the GCA Scholarship Committee and members experienced in botany.
1) All candidates must be enrolled in a U.S. college or university.
Application packet must consist of the following:
1) Completed Application Form (to download an application form [pdf], click here
2) Short Essay (Please tell what you know about the program you have selected, how it fits into your future plans, and what you hope to achieve during this summer program [Use separate sheet to answer.]);
3) Two letters of recommendation (One from your advisor and one from a professor familiar with your work and interests). One should include comments on your academic progress and achievement, personal qualities, and eligibility for the summer program you have selected. The other should include information on the program you have selected and assurance that you have applied and can be accepted.
4) College Transcript (Please attach a copy of your official college transcript with your application. Please do not alter or retype the application. Do not send any additional materials that are not required.)
Deadline: February 1, 2012
Send application packet to (do not fax or e-mail):
Ms. Judy Smith, The Garden Club of America, Attn: Summer Scholarships in Field Botany, 14 East 60th Street, New York, NY 10022-1002. Phone: (212) 753-8287.