The National Garden Clubs Inc. is offering scholarships to students majoring in fields of study related to horticulture and the environment. Thirty-five advanced annual scholarships are available for the academic year of 2012-2013, each in the amount of $3,500. The one-year scholarships are available to juniors, seniors and graduate students pursing a Master’s Degree. Sophomores may make application for their junior year.
1) Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident of the United States;
2) Must be attending school full-time as defined by NGC: a) Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 graded hours of classes; b) Graduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 graded hours of classes;
3) Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale);
4) Must be planning a career related to gardening, landscape design, environmental issues, floral design or horticulture;
5) Must be majoring in one of the following fields of study: Agronomy, Agriculture Education, Floriculture, Horticulture, Landscape Design, Botany, Biology, Forestry, Wildlife Science, Plant Pathology/Science, City (Rural & Urban) Planning, Habitat or Forest/Systems Ecology, Environmental Concerns (Management: Environmental, Horticulture Resource/Environmental Behavior), Environmental Conservation (inc. Engineering, etc.), Land Management and/or other related or allied subjects.
Application packet must consist of the following:
1) NGC Scholarship Application Form (to download an application form [pdf], click here
2) Financial Aid Form;
3) Complete official academic transcripts;
4) Letter of Application (limit 2 pages);
5) List of extracurricular activities, honors, and recognitions received within the last three years (limit 2 pages);
6) Three letters of recommendation (limit 1 page). Note:
Applications must be mailed to the State Garden Club Scholarship Chairman for the state in which the applicant is a legal resident, even if the student is attending an out-of-state school. A list of State Garden Club Chairmen is at the end of the application.
March 1, 2012
Send application packet to:
Send application packet to: (For SC residents) Sandra Hamann, 405 E. Seven Oaks Dr., Greenville, SC 29605. Phone: 864/235-9709; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
All of the documents must be mailed by the applicant in one large envelope. Do not place the documents in page protectors, in any sort of permanent binder, or staple the pages.