Thomas R. Dobbins, Ph.D.
Chair, Division of Agriculture
Ph.D. Vocational and Career Education/Ag Ed - Virginia Tech
M.Ag. Ed. Dairy Science - Clemson University
B.S. Agricultural Education - Clemson University
A.S. Agriculture - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
Teaching / Advising / Research / Outreach / Coordinator
Pre-service and In-service Education; Learning Styles
Refereed Journal Articles
- Dobbins, T.R., Camp, W.G. 2003. Clinical Experiences for Agricultural Teacher Education Programs in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia., Journal of Agricultural Education, 44(4).
- Layfield, D., Dobbins, T. 2002. Inservice Needs and Perceived Competencies of South Carolina Agricultural Educators, Journal of Agricultural Education, 43(4).
- Dobbins, T., Fravel, P., Wood, P., Werth, P., LaBoone, E., LaBoone, A. and J. Hirt. 1999. An Assessment of Computer Skill Levels Among User Groups on Campus, College and University Media Review.
Refereed Magazine Articles
- Dobbins, T., Covington, C. 2002. Revising Agricultural Education Preservice, The Agricultural Education Magazine, Vol. 74, Issue 4.
- McGee, L., Dobbins, T., King, D. 2001. From the College Classroom to the High School Classroom: Theory to Practice, The Agricultural Education Magazine, Vol.74, Issue 3.
- Covington, C., Dobbins, T. 2001. Technology and Computers in Education, The Agricultural Education Magazine, Vol. 73, Issue 4.
Educational Papers and Posters at National/Regional Conferences
- Duke, J., and Dobbins, T.: 2007. Teaching Meat Science through the Career Development Event, National Association of Agriculture Education (NAAE) National Conference, Las Vegas Nevada.
- Abbott, R., Nesbitt, B., Dobbins, T. and Burgess, G.: 2007. Using Educational Technology to improve student achievement, South Carolina School Board Association Meeting, Hilton Head, South Carolina.
- Sparace, Salvatore A., Cummings John R., Dobbins, Thomas R.,Minor, V. Christine , Layfield, K. Dale and Waldvogel, Jerry A. 2005. The Success of Teaching Agriscince as part of the Agricultural Education Curriculum, USDA Projector Directors Conference, Washington, DC.
- Sparace, Salvatore A., Cummings John R., Dobbins, Thomas R.,Minor, V. Christine , Layfield, K. Dale and Waldvogel, Jerry A. 2004. Agriscience Reform in Agricultural Education at Clemson University. Annual Meetings of the American Society of Plant Biologists, Abstract no. 941.
- Covington, C., Dobbins,T.(2004) . Student Teaching Experiences for Agricultural Education—A National Study Proceedings SAERC, February, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- Layfield, K.D. & T.R. Dobbins. (2003, December). Making the Most of 0s and 1s: Effective Graduate Education through Use of Digital Technologies. Poster accepted for presentation at the National Agricultural Education Research Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Layfield, K.D. & T.R. Dobbins. (2003, February). Making the Most of 0s and 1s: Effective Graduate Education through Use of Digital Technologies. Poster accepted for presentation at the Southern Region Agricultural Education Conference. Mobile, AL.
- Dobbins, T., King, D., Fravel, P., Keels, W., Covington, C. 2002. Factors that Influence African American Students not to Pursue Agriculture Related Careers as a Profession. Proceedings NAERC December, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Dobbins, T., King, D., Fravel, P., Keels, W., Covington, C. 2002. Factors that Influence Minority Students not to Pursue Agriculture Related Careers as a Profession. Proceedings SAERC, February, Orlando, Florida. (poster)
- Dobbins, T.R., Camp, W.G. 2000. Clinical Experiences for Agricultural Teacher Education Programs in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. 27th National Agricultural Education Research Conference.
- Layfield, K.D., Dobbins T.R. 2000. An Assessment of South Carolina Agricultural Teachers. Inservice Needs and Perceived Competencies. 27th National Agricultural Education Research Conference.
Professional Society Activity:
- Editor of Journal of Career and Technical Education (JCTE) 2006-2008
- Treasurer – 2007-2009
- Southern Region – Chair of Research Conference 2007
- Representative on the National FFA Alumni Board of Directors 2005-2008
- Professional Development Committee 2002-2005
- Chairman Professional Development 2004-2005
Courses Taught at Clemson University:
Agricultural Education 102, Freshman Seminar
Agricultural Education 202, Freshman Seminar
Agricultural Education 203, Teaching Agriscience
Agricultural Education 355, Organizational Leadership
Agricultural Education 406, Directed Student Teaching
Agricultural Education 401/601, Methods of Teaching
Agricultural Education 423/623, Curriculum Development
Agricultural Education 425/625, Teaching Agricultural Mechanics
Agricultural Education 428/628, Special Studies
Agricultural Education 750, Agriculture in the Classroom
Agricultural Education 750, Environmental Science for Agriculture Teachers
Agricultural Education 750, Landscape Design and Implementation
Agricultural Education 750, Supervision and Administration of Student Teachers
Agricultural Education 810, Research
Agricultural Education 812, Supervised Agriculture Experience
Agricultural Education 889, Educational Research
Download Resume (PDF File, 67 KB)