Assistant Professor of Water Resources
Office: 1-843-546-1013 Ext. 223
Located at: The Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology and Forest Science, Georgetown, SC
Ph.D. Agricultural and Biological Engineering -
The Ohio State University - 2006
M.S. Civil Engineering - The Ohio State University - 2002
B.E. Civil Engineering - Bangalore University, India - 1997
75% Research, 25% Extension
Urbanization impacts on coastal hydrology. Modeling of watershed and reach scale hydro-processes. Fluvial geomorphology of coastal streams. Low impact development (LID).
Dr. Jayakaran's Research & Projects Page
- Jayakaran, A. D., T.M Williams, H. Ssegane, M. Amatya, B Song, C Trettin [Accepted as a discussion paper]. Hurricane impacts on a pair of coastal forested watersheds: Implications of selective hurricane damage to forest structure and streamflow dynamics. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussion Paper (hess-2013-383), 10, 11519-11557, doi:10.5194/hessd-10-11519-2013
- Jayakaran, A. D., S.M. Libes, D. R. Hitchcock, N. L. Bell, D. Fuss. [Accepted for publication]. Flow, organic and inorganic sediment yields from a channelized watershed in the South Carolina Lower Coastal Plain. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA-13-0092-P.R2).
- Epps, T. H., D. R. Hitchcock, A. D. Jayakaran, D. R. Loflin, T. M. Williams, and D. M. Amatya. 2013 [In Press with Early View published Online]. Curve Number Derivation for Watersheds Draining Two Headwater Streams in Lower Coastal Plain South Carolina, USA. Journal of American Water Resources Association. doi: 10.1111/jawr.12084
- Epps, T. H., D. R. Hitchcock, A. D. Jayakaran, D. R. Loflin, T. M. Williams, and D. M. Amatya. 2013. Characterization of Storm Flow Dynamics of Headwater Streams in Lower Coastal Plain South Carolina. Journal of American Water Resources Association. 49(1):76-89. doi: 10.1111/jawr.12000
- Mecklenburg, D. E. and A.D. Jayakaran. 2012. Dimensioning the Sine-Generated Curve Meander Geometry. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 48(3): 635–642. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2012.00638.x
- Jones, S.G., W.H. Conner, B. Song, D. Gordon, A.D. Jayakaran. 2012. Comparing Spatio-temporal Clusters of Arthropod-borne Infections using Administrative Medical Claims and State Reported Surveillance Data, Spatial and Spatio-Temporal Epidemiology, 3 (3):205-213. doi: 10.1016/j.sste.2012.01.001
- Ward A. D., A. D. Jayakaran, D. E. Mecklenburg, G. E. Powell and J. Witter. 2008. Active Floodplain Requirements for Sustaining Two-Stage Channel Geometry, Encyclopedia of Water Science, Eds.: S.W. Trimble. Marcel Dekker, Inc.: New York.
- Jayakaran, A.D., and A.D. Ward. 2007. Geometry of inset channels and the sediment composition of fluvial benches in agricultural drainage systems in Ohio, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 62 (4), 296-307.
- Powell, G. E., A.D. Ward, D.E. Mecklenburg and A. D. Jayakaran. 2007. Two-stage channel systems: Part 1, a practical approach for sizing agricultural ditches, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 62 (4), 277-286.
- Jayakaran, A. D., D. E. Mecklenburg, A. D. Ward, L. C. Brown and A. Weekes. 2005. Formation of Fluvial Benches in Headwater Channels in the Midwestern Region of the USA, International Agricultural Engineering Journal, 14(4):193-208.
Peer reviewed proceedings and abstracts
- Jayakaran, A.D., D.E. Mecklenburg, J.D. Witter, A.D. Ward, and G.E Powell. 2010. Fluvial processes in agricultural ditches in the North Central Region of the United States and implications for their management. In: Agricultural Drainage Ditches: Mitigation Wetlands for the 21st Century. Ed: M.T. Moore and R. Kröger, Research Signpost Publishing, Trivandrum, India.
- Hitchcock, D. R., A. D. Jayakaran, J. Palazzolo, and D. L. White. 2013. Green Infrastructure in Coastal Landscapes: From Management Practice to Watershed Scale in the Southeastern U.S. StormCon Annual Convention 2013, Myrtle Beach, SC, (August 2013).
- Jayakaran, A.D., S.M. Libes, D. R. Hitchcock, and D. Fuss. 2012. Comparing Flow and Sediment Dynamics in an Urban and Forested Stream in the Lower Coastal Plains of South Carolina. Proceedings of the 2012 South Carolina Water Resources Conference, Columbia, South Carolina (October 2012).
- Hitchcock, D.R., A.D. Jayakaran T.H. Epps, and D.L. White. 2012. Green Infrastructure in Coastal Landscapes: Ecological Design, Hydrological Function & Sustainable Land Use Goals. Proceedings of the 2012 South Carolina Water Resources Conference, Columbia, South Carolina (October 2012).
- Thepaut, B., S.M. Libes, H. Young, D. Fuss and A.D. Jayakaran. 2012. Plant Survival in the Floodplain Restoration of Crabtree Swamp. Proceedings of the 2012 South Carolina Water Resources Conference, Columbia, South Carolina (October 2012).
- Eidson, G.W., S.T. Esswein, O.P. Flite, R.M. Geist, S. Goasguen, J.O. Hallstrom, A.D. Jayakaran, C.J. Post, J. Sharp, J. Tessendorf, K-C. Wang, and D.L. White. 2012. Moving Forward: Refinement of the Intelligent River®, A Basin-Scale Monitoring Instrument. Proceedings of the 2012 South Carolina Water Resources Conference, Columbia, South Carolina (October 2012).
- Hitchcock, D. R., D. L. White, A. D. Jayakaran, T. M. Williams, K. Giacalone, J. Calabria, C. B. Sawyer, and G.W. Eidson. 2010. Green Infrastructure Assessment Tools for Varying Scales in Coastal South Carolina, Eidson, Gene W., and Calvin B. Sawyer (ed.), Proceedings of the 2010 South Carolina Water Resources Conference.
- Hitchcock, D. R., W. H. Conner, S. Esswein, C. Post, T. M. Williams, A. D. Jayakaran, B. Song, W. Mikhailova, and R. Baldwin. 2008. Creating Digital Coastal Watersheds: The Remote Data Acquisition Network at Bannockburn Plantation In: Eidson, Gene W., and Calvin B. Sawyer (ed.), Proceedings of the 2008 South Carolina Water Resources Conference, ISBN: 978-0-615-25592-7, 64 pages (October 2008).
- Ward, A. D., D. E. Mecklenburg, A. D. Jayakaran, and L.C. Brown. 2004. Designing Two-Stage Agricultural Drainage Ditches. In Self-Sustaining Solutions for Streams, Wetlands, and Watersheds, ed. J. L. D’Ambrosio, pp400, ASAE, St. Paul, Minnesota. Paper No: 701P0504 (September 2004).
- Ward, A. D., D. Mecklenburg, G.E. Powell, A.D. Jayakaran, and L.C. Brown. 2004. Designing Two-Stage Agricultural Drainage Ditches. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Drainage Symposium, ed. R. Cooke, 386-397, ASAE, Sacramento, California. Paper No: 701P0304 (March 2004).
Professional society activity:
American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, ASABE
American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE
American Geophysical Union, AGU
American Water Resources Association, AWRA
American Ecological Engineering Society, AEES
State in which registered:
Professional Engineer (Category A), South Carolina
Engineering Intern, Ohio