Excerpt from The Integration of South Carolina’s Cooperative Extension Program from Clemson University Special Collections:
Camp Daniels, a state camp for African American 4-H members, opened near Elloree in 1947. It was named for Harry Daniels, who served as State Supervisor of “Negro Agricultural Extension Work” from 1919 to 1944
Cooperative Extension Service agents organized and supported various community groups, including 4-H clubs. These groups directly and indirectly taught leadership, parliamentary rules, organizational procedures, citizenship practices and collective action, skills that African American South Carolinians were not given many other opportunities to learn and practice in those years.
Agricultural and home demonstration agents working among rural African American South Carolinians also were able to measurably increase farm and home ownership, promote education, develop self-sufficiency, and improve health, nutrition and sanitation.
Read more about the The Integration of South Carolina’s Cooperative Extension Program.