DDT, known for its insecticidal properties, was first synthesized in 1874 and was widely used during World War II to control malaria and typhus. DDT became available for agricultural use after the war ended and both its production and use increased. By the 1940s, U.S. scientists were beginning to express concern over the indiscriminate application of DDT and the environmental impacts that resulted. Agricultural use of DDT in the U.S. was banned in 1972.
Today, Clemson Extension agents work closely with the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) to protect health, property, and our environment by promoting the safe and proper use of pesticides. DPR programs include applicator licensing and education, pesticide container recycling, integrated pest management in schools, endangered species protection, and the worker protection program.
For more information, visit the Department of Pesticide Regulation website.