Newberry County 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Program
The 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge, modeled after such competitions as the Food Network's 'Iron Chef', challenges teams of 4-H members to create an assigned dish. Team members must prepare the dish, make a presentation visual, interpret a food label, plan a balanced meal utilizing the dish, and prepare a fitness plan in just one hour. Their five minute presentation must include information about the serving size, nutritional values, how to utilize the dish in a meal, and cost of the dish. The 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge allows 4-H members to demonstrate their culinary and food safety skills to judges and observers.
The 4-H Healthy Lifestyles Challenge was developed through a partnership of 4-H, Zest Quest, and Partners for Academic Community Engagement.
- provide opportunities for participants to exhibit their knowledge and skills when preparing and presenting a dish
- provide opportunity for participants to explain their understanding of labeling
- provide opportunity for participants to demonstrate their knowledge of the need for physical activity
- provide opportunity for participants to learn from other team members
- promote teamwork
- give participants opportunities for public speaking
- provide leadership opportunities
- give 4-H members the opportunity to participate in a new, exciting, and competitive event
- Newberry Currently has 1 Senior Team (grades 9-12), 1 Junior Team (grades 6-8), and 1 Cloverleaf Team (grades 4-5).
- We are in search of members to make 1 Senior Teams, 1 Junior Team, and 1 Cloverleaf Team.
- Contact 4-H Agent, Alana West, if you are interested in participating: firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-276-1091 x111.