West Nile Virus
Selected Links to Information about West Nile Virus and Pesticides Used in Mosquito Control:
In South Carolina
Other selected resources
- National Pest Alert West Nile Virus in North America - Brochure from the USDA Regional Pest Management Centers
- Pest Alert: West Nile Virus (WN Virus)
- West Nile Virus (WNV) - information from the RISE Media Resource Center about West Nile virus, a mosquito-borne disease which poses a serious public health threat.
- CDC West Nile Virus Home Page - information from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on the mosquito-borne West Nile virus.
- NPIC West Nile Virus Resource Guide - National Pesticide Information Center information about West Nile virus.
- West Nile virus - Invasive species profile.
- Latest Information on West Nile Virus and more West Nile Virus Links - ProMED
- West Nile Virus, Mosquitoes and Waste Lagoons - From North Carolina State University. "The prudent decision is to assume that the risk is great enough to be sure mosquito control Best Management Practices (BMPs) are in place for waste lagoons."
- Managing Waste Lagoons To Control Mosquito Breeding - From North Carolina State University. Control of Culex quinquefasciatus in lagoons.
- State Specific Information on the West Nile Virus - National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) site with links to state specific info on West Nile virus.
- Pesticides & Mosquito Control - EPA Q&A site. Mosquito-borne diseases affect millions of people worldwide each year. In the U.S., we have 150 species of mosquitoes. Some can transmit diseases such as encephalitis, dengue fever, and malaria to humans. To combat mosquitoes and the potential public health hazards they present, many states and localities have established mosquito control programs. These programs can include ground and aerial application of pesticides along with nonchemical forms of control and prevention.
- American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA).
- American Mosquito Control Association Mosquito Links - links to Mosquito Control Districts, Mosquito Control Associations, University and Medical Lab sites, Governmental sites, Mailing Lists and Other Assorted sites, Commercial sites.
- AMCA Mosquito Information - information found on the American Mosquito Control Association web site. Includes mosquito life cycle, mosquito control and mosquito-borne disease.
- WHO Disease Outbreak News - World Health Organization (WHO) report on West Nile in the World.